Voices of Ancestors Oral History Project
Presented by the Bellingham Storytellers Guild
featuring Agriculture Stories from Whatcom County
It is said that each breath we take includes a few particles of the air our ancestors breathed. Our ancestors’ voices are in the rustling of the trees, the murmur of a brook by the meadow, and the rustling of new corn in the field. Our ancestors’ stories are in us and around us every day.
The Voices of the Ancestors Oral History Project seeks to preserve stories of the land, sea, forest, and industrial heritage of Whatcom county.
The Bellingham Storytellers Guild is collecting farming and agriculture stories in Whatcom County. These stories will be archived in digital and print form and made available for performance.
Going, going gone….
- Whatcom County is changing.
- Family farms are disappearing.
- Agricultural land is being developed for other purposes.
- When farm land is removed from production, a little bit of our history disappears...Forever…
Listen to the Stories
On June 1, 2006, the first performance of the Voices of the Ancestors
was presented at the Bellingham Ferry Terminal to a full house of community members celebrating Whatcom County History.
Stories from Whatcom County continue to be told at various events and for specialized groups. Support the stories by coming to listen.
Help Preserve the Stories
Make a tax deductible donation to the Bellingham Storytellers Guild at one of the levels suggested:
- Sponsor [$25]
- Patron [$100]
- Associate [$250]
- Heritage [$500]
- Corporate [$750]
Contribute a Story, etc
Contact the Bellingham Storytellers Guild....
- If you or someone you know has an interesting story that needs telling.
- If you would like more information regarding the project.
- If you would like to volunteer your time to collect or archive the stories.
Contact: Doug Banner
Telephone: (360)714 - 9631
The Bellingham Storytellers Guild is a 501-C3 not for profit organization dedicated to storytelling education and preservation of the storytelling tradition.
Voices of the Ancestors Oral History Project and Performance
is presented by
In cooperation with:
- The Whatcom County Agricultural Preservation Committee
- Whatcom Farm Friends
- The Bertrand Watershed Improvement District
- Sustainable Connections Food and Farming
- The Whatcom Coalition for Healthy Communities Leadership Whatcom Project