Course Design & Development
IN THIS SECTION
- Bloom's Taxonomy Blooms Digitally, Andrew Churches, (2008), Educators' eZine, Tech and Learning.
- Bloom's Taxonomy of the Cognitive Domain, W. Huitt, (2004), Educational Psychology Interactive, Valdosta State Univ., GA.
- Design and Teach Your Course , Eberly Center of Teaching Excellence, Carnegie Mellon University.
- How to Write a Statement of Teaching Philosophy, Gabriela Montell, The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- Integrated Course Design, L. Dee Fink, Idea Paper 42, The Idea Center.
- Model of Learning Objectives, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Iowa State University.
- Preparing or Revising a Course, Barbara Gross Davis, Tools for Teaching (Jossey-Bass; San Francisco, 1993).
- Writing Learning Objectives, University of Texas at Austin.
There is no official university policy on what information a course syllabus must contain. The following links are provided to assist faculty in developing a course syllabus.
- Course Syllabus Guidelines (CIIA), Essential components to be included in a syllabus contributed by experienced faculty at WWU, along with information about WWU policies, compiled by the Center for Instructional Innovation and Assessment.
- Course Syllabus Requirements (Woodring), Defined by WWU's Woodring College of education for NCATE review (2004).
- Constructing Legally Sound Syllabi, Faye Hardy-Lucas, Esq., Hampton University General Counsel.
- Course Design/Creating A Syllabus, Center for Teaching and Learning, University of California, Berkeley.
- Creative Syllabuses, Jason B. Jones, The Chronicle of Higher Education, (2012).
- Designing a Learning-Centered Syllabus, Center for Teaching & Assessment of Learning, University of Delaware. Numerous examples, with steps and principles.
- The Helpful Syllabus, Meg Gorzycki, Center for Teaching and Faculty Development, San Fransisco State University.
- The Purposes of a Syllabus, Jay Parkes and Mary B. Harris, N. Arizona University.
- Student Performance Verbs University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Syllabus, Peer-reviewed publication of course syllabi, Rhode Island College.
- Syllabus Report as designed by MIT CDIO Initiative (includes excellent appendix on Bloom’s Taxonomy of Educational Objectives).
- What is an Effective Syllabus? Center for Teaching and Learning, University of Minnesota.
- Writing a Syllabus, Howard B. Altman and William E. Cashin, Idea Paper 27, The Idea Center.
See also: Syllabus Essentials
- Grunert O'Brien, J., Mills B.J.,& Cohen, M.W., The Course Syllabus: A Learning-Centered Approach, Jossey-Bass, 2008.
- Nilson, L.B., The Graphic Syllabus and the Outcomes Map: Communicating Your Course, Jossey-Bass, 2007.