Collaborative Learniing (Peer/Group Work)
Peer Teaching (learning) involves student learning from and with each other in ways which are mutually beneficial and involve sharing knowledge, experience and ideas between participants.
—David Boud, et al., Peer Learning in Higher Education:
Learning from and with Each Other, 2001
Collabroation and Cooperative Learning
- Are They Really Ready to Work? Employer's Perspectives of the Basic Knowledge and Skills of the 21st Century Employee, report of data from 2006 survey conducted by the Workforce Readiness Project Team, pages 9-12
- Building Learning Teams: The Key to Harnessing the Power of Small Groups in Higher Education, Center for Teaching and Learning, UNC Charlotte.
- Building Teamwork Process Skills in Students, Center for Teaching and Learning, UC Berkeley.
- Collaborative Learning: Group Work, Cornell University
- Commonly Asked Questions about Teaching Collaborative Activities, Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, Penn State.
- Cooperative Learning: How to Assign Meaningful Tasks to Group Members - Daily Teaching Tools
- Cooperative Learning: Students Working in Small Groups, Stanford University
- Enhancing Learning -and More!- Through Cooperative Learning, Barbara J. Millis, Idea Paper 38, The Idea Center
- Implementing Group Work in the Classroom, Centre for Teaching Excellence, University of Waterloo
- Managing Hot Moments in the Classroom, Lee Warren, Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard University.
- Peer Learning Strategies - Centre for Development of Teaching and Learning, National University of Singapore
- Team-Based Learning Collaborative, University of Florida.
- Working in Groups - Note to Faculty and a Quick Guide for Students, Harvard University.
- Working with Students in Groups, Center for Teaching and Learning, UC Berkeley.
- 10 Recommendations for Improving Group Work, Maryellen Weimer, Faculty Focus, September 2014.
Tools and Technology to Facilitate Collaborative Learning
- CATME - research-based tool for assigning teams and assessing performance on group projects
- Wiggio - online tool for group work, features include calendars, to-do lists, file sharing, polls, messaging, and meetings
- Padlet - an online bulletin board tool for sharing content (images, videos, documents, text, etc.) See also these examples of education related padlets.
- Discussion Forums - ideas from Innovative Teaching Showcase 2014: Blended Learning.
- GoogleDocs - explanation with ideas for ways to use Google Docs, Innovative Teaching Showcase 2014: Blended Learning.
- Wikis - explanation with ideas and sample assignments, Innovative Teaching Showcase 2014: Blended Learning.
Resources for Students
- Benne and Sheats' Group Roles: Identifying Both Positive and Negative Group Behavior Roles - Mind Tools
- Group Member Roles for Group Effectiveness - Cooperative Extension Service, Iowa State University
- How to Create a Group in Canvas - guide for students from Canvas help center
- The Dozen Cooperative Learning Roles - Kagan Cooperative Learning
Grading Considerations and Rubrics for Collaborative Work
- Grading Methods for Group Work - Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence, Carnegie Mellon University.
- CATME Peer Evaluation Tool
- Collaborative Work Skills Rubric - ReadWriteThink, International Reading Association & NCTE
- Group and Self-Assessment Tool - Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Rubric for Teamwork - Jiles, Huba, et. al, Winona State University
- Teamwork VALUE Rubric - Association of American Colleges & Universities
- Team Cooperation Worksheet - CSU Bakersfield MBA Program
- Barkley, Elizabeth F., Collaborative Learning Techniques: A Handbook for College Faculty, Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- Boud, D., Cohen, R., and Sampson, J. (2001) Peer Learning in Higher Education: Learning from and with Each Other. Sterling, VA: Stylus.
- Mazur, Eric (1997) Peer Instruction: A User's Manual. Des Moines, IA: Prentiss-Hall.
- Ender, S., & Newton, Fred (2000) Students Helping Students: A Guide for Peer Educatorson College Campuses.San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Johnson, David R., Learning Together and Alone: Cooperative, Competitive, and Individualistic Learning (5th edition), Allyn & Bacon, 1998.