While the resources for teaching large classes provided on this page are comprehensive, they have been reviewed by the CIIA and deemed exceptionally useful. To assist in your perusal, these resources are grouped on this page in the following categories:
- Large Class FAQ, Class Planning, Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, Penn State University.
- Large Classes: Limiting the Chaos, University of Waterloo, Canada.
- About Teaching Large Classes, Teaching Support Centre, University of Western Ontario.
- Considerations for Large Lecture Classes, The Center for Teaching and Learning, University of California, Berkley.
- Teaching Large Classes, Faculty Innovation Center, University of Texas at Austin.
- Assessing Large Classes, Centre for the Study of Higher Education, University of Melbourne.
- Classroom Assessment Techniques (CATs), Center for Teaching, Vanderbilt University.
- See also: Assessing Learning, Online Video Modules
- Planning and Assessing Assignments in Large Classes, Center for Instructional Development and Research, University of Washington.
- Writing Multiple-Choice Questions that Demand Critical Thinking, Teaching Effectiveness Program, University of Oregon.
- Teaching and Assessing Large Classes, Video series from UNSW Australia.
- Beating the Numbers Game: Effective Teaching in Large Classes, Richard M. Felder, North Carolina State University.
- Establishing Rapport: Personal Interaction and Learning, Neil Fleming, Idea Paper 39, The Idea Center
- Large Classes: A Teaching Guide: Personalizing the Large Class, Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Maryland
- A Survival Handbook for Teaching Large Classes: How Can I Better Manage the Class Climate?, The Center for Teaching and Learning, UNC Charlotte.
- Not Quite 101 Ways to Learn Students' Names, Teaching Resource Center, University of Virginia
- Welcoming Students on the First Day, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Iowa State University. Part of a YouTube channel from Center for Excellent in Learning and Teaching at Iowa State University: (see description).
- Pronounce Names, a search engine to find phonetic transcriptions of names.
- Implementing Interactive Activities in a Large Class to Build Community, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Iowa State University. Part of a series of videos related to creating a positive learning environment (see description).
- Managing a Discussion in a Large Class, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Iowa State University. Part of a YouTube channel from Center for Excellent in Learning and Teaching at Iowa State University: (see description).
- Student Participation in Large Classes, Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, Penn State University.
- Tips for Using Questions in Large Classes, Daniel J. Klionsky, University of California, Davis. How to make students feel comfortable with questions starting on the first day of class with five specific tips.
- Effective Lecturing, IDEA Paper #46, The Idea Center.
- Teaching Large Classes, Faculty Innovation Center, UT Austin.
- Teaching with Lectures, The Teaching Center, Washington University in St. Louis.
- The "Change-Up" in Lectures, Joan Middendorf & Alan Kalish, Teaching Resources Center, Indiana University.
** The Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching at Iowa State University created a series of videos related to creating a positive learning environment on day one of the term. Dr. Corly Brooke, Professor of Human Development and Family Studies at ISU believes that regardless of class size, it is important to welcome the students, set clear expectations and create an environment that is conducive to learning. Watch all the video clips to see what works well for her.