Active Learning Strategies
IN THIS SECTION
- Active Learning Strategies
- Classroom Management
- Discussion Strategies
- Experiential Learning
- Group Work
- Activities During the Lecture, Teaching and Learning, IT University of Copenhagen. Activities that can break up the monotony, captivate student interest, and help
- Active Lecturing: The Potential of PowerPoint, Center for Teaching and Learning, University of Minnesota. Ways to plan out a PowerPoint presentation to make it more active for students and the teacher.
- Ten Ways to Make Lectures More Dynamic, BBC Active.
- Twenty Ways to Make Lectures More Participatory, Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard University. Broken into categories like inviting participation, varying the format, and closing the lecture.
- Case Writing Guide, Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, Penn State.
- How to Lead a Case-Based Instruction, Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence & Educational Innovation, Carnegie Mellon University.
- The Case Method of Teaching Science, National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science, University of Buffalo, SUNY.
- The Case Method -- A Joint Venture in Learning, themed Issue on Case Studies, Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, (13)2.
- Using Cases in Teaching, Penn State Teaching and Learning with Technology. Includes examples, strategies for writing cases, and teaching tips.
- Capturing and Directing the Motivation to Learn, Speaking of Teaching, Stanford
- Motivating Students, The Center for Teaching and Learning, UC Berkeley.
- Twenty Tips on Motivating Students, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Learning Materials in a Problem Based Course, The Higher Education Academy, UK. This is a guide for using problem-based learning, including formats, roles, assessment, and evaluation.
- Problem-Based Learning: An Introduction, National Teaching and Learning Forum.
- The Jigsaw Classroom, Social Psychology Network.
- The Washington Center Casebook, Case stories available for use.
- Barkley, E. F., (2009). Student Engagement Techniques:
A Handbook for College Faculty,
Jossey-Bass. Available at CIIA & Western Libraries.
- Bean, John C., (1996) Engaging Ideas: The Professor's Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom, Jossey-Bass,Available at CIIA & Western Libraries.
- Silberman, Mel, (1996) Active Learning: 101 Strategies to Teach Any Subject Pearson, 1996. Available at CIIA & Western Libraries.