IN THIS SECTION
While the the resources for teaching large classes provided on this page are comprehensive, they have been reviewed by the CIIA and deemed exceptionally useful. To assist in your perusal, these resources are grouped on this page in the following categories:
- Large Class FAQ, Class Planning, Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, Penn State University.
- Large Classes: Limiting the Chaos, University of Waterloo, Canada.
- About Teaching Large Classes, Teaching Support Centre, University of Western Ontario.
- Large Lecture Classes, The Center for Teaching and Learning, University of California, Berkley.
- Assessing Large Classes, Centre for the Study of Higher Education, University of Melbourne.
- Classroom Assessment Techniques (CATs), Center for Teaching, Vanderbilt University.
- See also: Assessing Learning, Online Video Modules
- Planning and Assessing Assignments in Large Classes, Center for Instructional Development and Research, University of Washington.
- Writing Multiple-Choice Questions that Demand Critical Thinking, Teaching Effectiveness Program, University of Oregon.
- Teaching and Assessing Large Classes, Video series from UNSW Australia.
- Beating the Numbers Game: Effective Teaching in Large Classes, Richard M. Felder, North Carolina State University.
- Building Dynamic Groups Ohio State University Extension. Collection of activities for team building.
- A Survival Handbook for Teaching Large Classes: How Can I Better Manage the Class Climate?, The Center for Teaching and Learning, UNC Charlotte.
- Not Quite 101 Ways to Learning Students' Names, Teaching Resource Center, University of Virginia
- Welcoming Students on the First Day, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Iowa State University. Part of a YouTube channel from Center for Excellent in Learning and Teaching at Iowa State University: (see description).
- Implementing Interactive Activities in a Large Class to Build Community, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Iowa State University. Part of a series of videos related to creating a positive learning environment (see description).
- Managing a Discussion in a Large Class, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Iowa State University. Part of a YouTube channel from Center for Excellent in Learning and Teaching at Iowa State University: (see description).
- Student Participation in Large Classes, Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, Penn State University.
- Tips for Using Questions in Large Classes, Daniel J. Klionsky, University of California, Davis. How to make students feel comfortable with questions starting on the first day of class with five specific tips.
- Effective Lecturing, IDEA Paper #46, The Idea Center.
- Teaching Large, Division of Instructional Innovation and Assessment, UT Austin.
- Teaching with Lectures, The Teaching Center, Washington University in St. Louis.
- The "Change-Up" in Lectures, Joan Middendorf & Alan Kalish, Teaching Resources Center, Indiana University.