Local Bus Service
- Each bus ride costs $1.00, cash. Transfers and change are not provided, so carry exact change in dollar bills or coins.
- Western Students eligible for a bus pass can have a bus pass encoded on their Western ID. Then, swiping the Western ID through the fare box on the bus is valid payment on all WTA buses. For more information about the Western Student Bus pass click here.
How To Plan a Trip on WTA:
Use the WTA online trip planner, or contact our office. We are happy to show you how to use a transit guide. Once you know how to read a WTA transit guide, you can read transit guides all over the world.
How to Ride the Bus
- Know where you will board the bus and how long it takes to get there.
- Check the schedule before you leave. On Saturdays and Sundays, buses run on a revised schedule. Saturday schedules are shown in blue and Sunday schedules are shown in green.
- You may need to use more than one bus to get to your destination; most routes connect at the downtown Bellingham Station. It’s usually best to work backward from when you need to be at your destination.
- Plan to be at your stop a few minutes before the bus is expected to arrive; schedules are estimates and your bus may arrive a few minutes earlier or later. Dress appropriately for the weather.
- Have your pass or fare ready. Fare boxes accept coins and bills; drivers cannot make change.
- When the bus approaches, check the route number and destination (shown above the front window) to be sure it is your bus.
- About a block before your destination, pull the bell cord above the window. Exit at the rear door and wait for the bus to depart before crossing the street.
- Ask a driver or WTA employee if you have questions about which gate you should wait at for your bus, whether you will make your connection (or anything else about your trip).
New To The Bus?
Contact Sustainable Transportation with questions. We can show you how to read the transit guide, help you find bus routes and create custom trip plans.
Bus Routes Through Campus
Click here for bus routes that travel through campus and their departure times from each campus bus stop.
Late Night Student Shuttle
For information about the late night Western Student Shuttle, click here.
Riding The Bus To An Evening Class
Regional Travel By Bus
For information about regional travel by bus, click here.