State Government Relations
Who We Are
A division of University Relations and Community Development, State Government Relations works to pursue and promote Western’s policy objectives to the Washington State Legislature. The Office works closely with Legislators and Western administrators, faculty, students and staff.
State Government Relations also educates the campus community of legislation affecting the University.
Western Legislative Priorities
Western’s legislative priorities are designed to serve the people of Washington State and help Western meet its mission and strategic goals. The following links provide summaries of Western’s 2015 Operating Budget request and Capital Budget request . Additional information about Western’s legislative priorities can be found in our Legislative Briefing Book.
Please contact us with any questions you have!
Legislative Session Blog
April 03, 2015
- Olympia has been buzzing during the past week due to the House of Representatives releasing their operating and capital budget proposals on March 27, and the Senate releasing their operating budget proposal on March 31. Read More...
March 18, 2015
- We are just past the halfway mark of the 2015 regular legislative session, as today is day 66 of the 105-day session. Wednesday of last week was the cutoff for legislation not necessary to implement the budget to have been voted out of the chamber of origin – either the Senate or House of Representatives – and many bills have dwindled out of consideration through the legislative process to this point. Policy committees are now considering bills that passed out of the opposite chamber and have until the next legislative cutoff on April 1 to pass bills to the floor or a fiscal committee. Read More...
March 05, 2015
- For the third biennium in a row, the Carver Academic Facility is Western’s top capital budget request. Carver is not only Western’s most heavily-used building on campus, it is also the largest indoor assembly space in Whatcom County, and it is in urgent need of renovation. The state has already invested $7 million in design funding; acting now to renovate Carver will ensure that this funding does not go to waste. Read More...
February 12, 2014
We are now in the fifth week of the 2015 legislative session in Olympia and bills continue to move through the legislative process. In total, legislators have filed over 2,000 bills to date. Read More…
January 22, 2015
- The 2015 Legislative Session is underway and Western has been making progress in Olympia since the start of the 105-day session on January 12th. Listed below is an update regarding Western’s efforts and recent developments. Read More...
January 12, 2015
- It is an exciting day in Olympia, as today is the first day of the 2015 legislative session. Over the coming months the Legislature will consider hundreds of bills and formulate the 2015-17 state budget. Listed below is a summary of some of Western’s priorities for the legislative session. These proposals would build upon Western’s strengths and serve the people of Washington State. Read More...
January 09, 2015
- Welcome to Western’s state relations blog! This blog is intended to help keep you informed about WWU’s 2015 state legislative agenda and news from the State Legislature affecting Western’s priorities and higher education in Washington State Legislature and the state’s biennial legislative process. Read More...