What Do You Wish Someone Had Told You When You Started as New Student at Western? Got a Story to Share?
A Call for New Student Welcoming Convocation Student Speakers
- Are you interested in addressing the incoming class of students in fall 2019 and sharing with them the unique experiences of being a member of the Western community?
- Do you have a personal story and advice that would assist incoming students in being successful at Western?
- Do you believe you can provide a speech with messages that will reach a diverse group of students and which will be attention-grabbing, personally meaningful, engaging and no longer than 4-5 minutes?
- Will you be of sophomore or senior standing at the start of the fall term?
Then read on…
About New Student Welcoming Convocation
Event Date: September 24, 2019
New Student Welcoming Convocation is a ceremony held each September on the day prior to the start of classes to welcome new students into the Western community.
More specifically, Welcoming Convocation serves three main purposes:
- To integrate new students into the academic life and community at Western,
- To convey the values and campus culture that uniquely defines Western, and
- To create ritual and tradition through an event designed to mirror the memory walk recessional that marks the end of the Commencement ceremony when a student graduates.
What You Need to Do Next
To be considered, you must be available to provide your speech on Tuesday, September 24, 2019 sometime in the hours between 3:00 and 5:00pm. This date is the day prior to the start of classes for the fall term.
If you are interested in being considered to serve as either the sophomore or senior student speaker, you are asked to follow the steps outlined below.
Step 1: Contact the Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Elizabeth Yarbrough, Office Assistant Lead
Old Main 450
Phone: (360) 650-3480
Contact Elizabeth Yarbrough via email by the end of the business day on Friday, May 3, 2019, notifying her that you are interested in submitting a speech sample. Please include your name, W#, email address and a phone number where you can be reached. In addition, please indicate whether you will be of sophomore or senior standing at the start of the fall term.
Step 2: Submit a sample speech for consideration
You are asked to prepare a 3 minute videotaped speech on any topic of your choice and submit it by the end of business on Friday, May 10, 2019. Please submit your video sample (either as an attachment or with a link to your YouTube channel) via email to Elizabeth.Yarbrough@wwu.edu or deliver a thumb drive to Old Main 450. The video will be reviewed and considered not on the merits of the topic but rather to gain an understanding of your speaking style, your ability to engage an audience, and your comfort level with public speaking.
About the Selection Process
Video submissions will be reviewed and speakers chosen by the Provost and the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services no later than Friday, May 24, 2019.
Individuals selected as speakers will receive assistance, as needed, from the Offices of the Provost and the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services in preparing the final version of their speeches.
All individuals who submit materials will receive notification at the conclusion of the review process.
For More Information
Office of the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Old Main 450