Obtaining Assistance

Individuals who have been subjected to any form of sexual misconduct are encouraged to seek immediate assistance from:

CASAS (Consultation and Sexual Assault Support)
Available to all Western students
Phone: 360-650-3700

CASAS assists victims of current or previous sexual assault, dating or domestic violence, stalking, hate crimes, or other violent crimes to connect with medical assistance, counseling and support services, police reporting, legal resources, academic support, and other student services. CASAS supports victims as well as families and friends of victims.

The University takes all reports of sexual misconduct seriously and has an obligation to respond promptly and effectively when a staff member receives a report. In addition to CASAS, other options for assistance are below.

For confidential advice and support

WWU Counseling Center
Old Main 540, (360) 650-3164

Employee Assistance Program
Health Promotion Network, (360) 715-6565

Whatcom County Crisis Services
(360) 715-1563 (24 hours)

Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services (DVSAS) (360) 715-1563 or (877) 715-1563 (24 hours)

For medical assistance

WWU Student Health Services
Campus Services Building, 2100 Bill McDonald Parkway, (360) 650-3400

St. Joseph Hospital
(360) 734-5400 (Voice), (360) 738-6777 (TTY)

To report an offense to the police:

University Police Department
(if the offense occurred on WWU property)
(360) 650-3555, (360) 650-3123 (TTY)

Bellingham Police
Call 911 for emergencies; (360) 676-6911 for non-emergencies

To report an offense to the University

Office of Student Life
(if alleged offender is a WWU student)
Viking Union 506, (360) 650-3706

Equal Opportunity Center/Title IX Compliance Officer
Sue Guenter-Schlesinger
Old Main 345, (360) 650-3307, Washington Relay: 711

To contact the Federal Office for Civil Rights

Students may report incidents of sexual harassment, which includes sexual assault and all other forms of sexual misconduct, to the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights, 915 Second Ave., Room 3310, Seattle WA 98174-1099. Telephone: (206) 220-7900. Email: OCR_Seattle@ed.gov

Private legal counsel

Students who have experienced any form of sexual misconduct have the right to consult private legal counsel of their own choosing for options on legal action.

Page Updated 05.13.2015