Important Dates & DeadlinesImportant Dates & Deadlines Academic Calendar Admissions Application Deadlines On-campus Housing Calendar
Transfer Student Timeline
Fall Quarter Admissions
From applying for admission to registering for your first quarter’s classes, a successful transfer experience requires planning ahead. The timeline below indicates when you need to complete important steps and when you can expect to hear from various offices at Western Washington University.
- Visit campus. Let our students, faculty, and staff show you what makes Western unique. Options include weekday and Saturday tours and a special Transfer Days program for prospective transfer students.
- Explore academic departments to learn more about the academic majors available at Western. Use the Major Guides for a quick overview of the majors and a list of the courses you should take before transferring. Contact the academic advisor or a faculty member in that department should you have more specific questions.
January / February
- Visit the transfer admission website if you are interested in learning more about admission criteria, transfer credit policies, or course equivalencies.
- Obtain the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) from your college financial aid office or FAFSA on the Web. Submit the FAFSA online or mail to the federal processors as early as January 1 and no later than Western’s priority deadline of February 15th. Be sure to list Western on the FAFSA so we receive your application information; our school code is 003802.
- Apply for admission. You can apply online or print a paper application from our website. For on-time consideration, all supporting materials must be postmarked by the March 1 application deadline.
- Search and apply for private scholarships using your college financial aid office and Western’s Scholarship Center. A partial list of transfer student scholarship opportunities is also included on the admissions website. Scholarship criteria and application deadlines vary – don’t delay!
- March 1 is the transfer student application deadlinefor fall quarter admission. For priority consideration, all supporting materials must be postmarked by this date. Admission occurs on a rolling basis between mid-January and mid-May. All applicants are notified of their admissions decision in writing and most students should receive notice by the end of April.
- Apply for on-campus housing anytime after you apply for admission. A housing application/roommate questionnaire will be included in your offer of admissions. Off-campus housing is also available.
- If you met our priority FAFSA filing deadline of February 15th, you will receive your financial aid award package between mid-March and April.
- Apply for admission if you have not yet done so. For priority consideration, all required materials must be postmarked by the March 1 application deadline.
- Visit campus if you haven't already.
- Scholarship notification varies but students typically receive award information by late April.
- Apply for on campus housing if you haven’t already and plan to live on campus.
May / June
- To reserve your enrollment space, your Enrollment Confirmation Form and non-refundable $250 Enrollment Fee must be a) paid online, or b) postmarked by May 1 or within two weeks of your offer of admission, whichever is later. The Enrollment Confirmation Form is included in your offer of admission.
- If you plan to live on campus, apply for on campus housing by the May 1st priority deadline.
- Send updated transcripts with winter quarter or spring semester grades to the Office of Admissions by June 1st.
- Beginning mid-May, students who have submitted their Enrollment Confirmation Form to Admissions and applied for on campus housing are sent offers of housing. You must respond by June 15th for priority consideration.
- Information about Transitions, Western’s summer orientation, registration and advising program for new transfer students, will be sent to confirmed students late May. Make your reservation for Transitions no later than July 15th.
- Activate your Universal Account to set up your Western email account and receive important email correspondence from the university. Instructions are included with your confirmation letter.
- Send proof of measles immunity (required for all students born on or after January 1, 1957 before you can register for courses).
- Check your Western email account in early July for information about accessing your personal Transfer Equivalency Report. (To receive this important email, you must first activate your Universal Account.)
- Make sure your final college transcripts, with degree posted if applicable, have been sent to Office of Admissions as soon as spring quarter ends and no later than July 15th.
- Familiarize yourself with Western’s advising resources for transfer students. Prior to registration, you should contact an academic departmental advisor to develop a plan for declaring your major and planning appropriate courses.
- Attend Transitions, our one-day orientation, registration and advising program for all new transfer students. Meet with peer and faculty advisors, receive valuable registration tips, familiarize yourself with Western’s academic options and expectations, and explore campus.
- Send proof of measles immunity (required for all students born on or after January 1, 1957 before you can register for courses) if you have not yet done so.
- Early August, on-campus housing assignments (building/room/roommate) are mailed to those who submitted their deposit by June 15th and also viewable on our housing status website.
- Additional information about registration for transfer students unable to attend Transitions will be sent after the program.
- Make sure your final college transcripts, with degree posted if applicable, have been sent to Office of Admissions as soon as summer quarter ends and no later than September 1st.
- Be sure to checkout the workshops and events offered during Western Welcome Week.
- Mid-September, on-campus housing assignments (building/room/roommate) are mailed to those who submitted their deposit after June 15th and are also viewable on our housing status website.
- Move-in day for on-campus housing is the Sunday before classes begin. You may also register for early arrival through the University Residences website.
- September 25th: Fall classes begin