Women Studies Major
The Women Studies Program offers a Student-Faculty Designed Major in which students consult with a faculty committee in designing an individualized program of study. Students should consider this major if their educational objectives are not adequately met by any single departmental major. Faculty will assist you in choosing courses from at least three academic departments as you plan your course of study.
- Getting started: consult with the Women Studies Director to discuss your interests, brainstorm on a proposal for a Student-Faculty Designed Major, and develop a faculty committee to work with you throughout the course of study.
- Department of Liberal Studies handles the paperwork and clarifies the procedures. Make an appointment withValerie Worthen (details given below). In the first meeting you will recieve two forms. The first form sets out policies and procedures for applying for the Student-Faculty Designed Major. The second form is a contract for the Major which includes the list of the courses that you will take to fulfill your Major.
- Important Policies: 75 credits, at least 45 of which must be within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. Writing Proficiency requirements must be completed. Apply for the Major no later than beginning of the junior year.
- Contact: Valerie Worthen Bond Hall 152. Phone 650-3031. Email: Valerie.Worthen@wwu.edu
- Women Studies requirements, as in the Minor, must be followed. The student must take WMNS 211, WMNS 411 and at least 4 credits in each of the categories: Women in Language and the Arts, Women in History and Politics, Women in Science and Society. Details are available in Course Descriptions.