Academic Advising Center

When to Declare a Major

Early declaration of a major is essential to graduating in a timely manner.

Additional benefits to declaring your major early include:

  • Departmental advisement specific to your major
  • Finding out about major related opportunities within your department
  • Access to major restricted courses

Soon after arriving at WWU:

Contact the Academic Advising Center or a departmental advisor to discuss your plan for major preparation

Considering Science and Technology, Pre-Health, Fine and Performing Arts, and Huxley Environmental Science majors?

Connect with department advisors your first quarter for advising and major or pre-major declaration.

By 60 credits:

Meet with the department of your choice for individualized major advising


Visit the Academic Advising Center to explore major choices

By 90 credits:

Apply to your major, if you have not already

105 Credit Holds

Western is committed to student success and timely completion of graduation requirements and therefore reserves the right to deny access to classes by students who make insufficient progress toward a degree or major. Students who do not declare a major, pre-major, or Phase I major by the time they reach 105+ quarter credits are required to meet with an advisor, submit an online plan for declaration or declare their major each quarter prior to registering. Holds are placed at the beginning of each quarter providing students ample time to have the hold removed prior to registration for the following quarter. Students who have completed 105+ quarter credits will go through this process every quarter until they have declared a major. To remove the registration hold students may complete one of the below option:

  • Submit an online plan for major declaration. Links to the plan are sent to the students’ Western email at the beginning of the quarter and incorporated into weekly reminder emails up until Phase I registration for the following quarter.
  • Meet with an Academic Advisor in person. Students may schedule an appointment by calling 360-650-3850 or stopping by Old Main 380. Additionally, 15 minute drop-in appointments are available Monday – Friday, 11am – 2pm when classes are in session.
  • Meet with a departmental advisor. Students may meet with an advisor from the department they are hoping to declare their major in. The departmental advisor will need to email the student’s name, W#, and note confirming they met with the student to: .
  • Declare major. Once students have declared a major and the paperwork has been processed through the Registrar’s Office, the hold will be removed.

Once a student reaches 75 credits and are undeclared, they receive notification emails via their Western email address that they are approaching the 105 credit mark and should seek out advising related to their major planning, if they haven’t already. If a student transfers into Western with 105+ quarter credits, they will not receive a hold until the second quarter of enrollment, if still undeclared at that time. Students are notified about the 105 Credit Hold policy during their advising and orientation session.

High Credit Running Start and Transfer Students

  • Your first quarter at WWU:
    Connect with your major department
  • By the end of your second quarter at WWU:
    Apply to your major, if you have not already