Western Washington University has a program for the management and control of its physical inventory. Property control tags identify each piece of University owned equipment that has a purchase cost of $5,000.00 or more. Property control tags are also affixed to the following small and attractive assets with unit costs of $1,000 or more:
- Cameras, motion picture (6710)
- Cameras, still picture (6720)
- Photographic projection equipment, e.g. projectors (6730)
- Laptop and notebook computers (7013)
- Tablets and smart phones (7014)
All Weapons, Firearms, Signal Guns, and Accessories are tagged and inventoried regardless of unit cost.
To recycle or dispose of unneeded surplus university property, you need to either complete an Surplus Equipment Pickup Request form or call Equipment Inventory at x3566.
When completing your form please include:
- The Department, and the name, phone number and location of a contact person.
- The physical location of the item(s) including the building names and room number.
- The inventory tag number(s) – or write “None," if it is not tagged.
- A good description of the item(s).
- Specify the condition of the item(s) Make any other important notations such as special directions for hours of availability or suspected hazardous conditions or materials.
To dispose of an asset, the department’s Budget Authority must approve of the disposal of assets by completing the Surplus Equipment Pickup Request form.
The general guideline is that state property may be sold at “fair market value” to schools or non-profit organizations.
Contact Equipment Inventory before donating any university assets or goods to another organization. They will guide you
through the process of qualifying the organization and other paperwork required by our policy and state law. Special note;
the state has mandated that all donations of university’s surplus computers and related equipment be donated through the
“Computers for Kids – Washington” program. To ensure equity, there are to be NO direct donations of surplus computers or
computer-related equipment by state universities to school districts outside of this process.
A memo specifying the item WWU Tag number, a brief description, the gaining department name and ORGN code, and new building & room location. Send memo to Equipment Inventory, MS-9116.