Business Services

Travel Reimbursement (Expense Report)

A Travel Reimbursement (TR) is an official document submitted by a traveler to request repayment for expenses occurred while traveling. Delegates may help travelers enter data, but travelers ultimately accept responsibilty for the accuracy of the document. By clicking "submit" travelers are attesting that the document correctly represents their itinerary and expenses.

If your travel did not go as originally planned on your Authorization, please make adjustments on your reimbursement and be sure to make a comment for any major changes.


Be sure to select "Yes" after you submit your TR to clear your encumbrance! (This does not prevent you from generating another TR if you forgot an expense, it just ensures money is not tied up in your budget.)

Approval Process

Approvals flow automatically from one approver to the next.

TR's go through two stages of approval:

  1. Travel Services: Ensures no violations of travel policy
  2. Budget Authority: Approves actual expenses

* Grant or Foundation Funds require an additional approval step

Approver/Proxy listings are available here


Can I use air miles for my airfare and receive reimbursement?

WWU will reimburse you for actual dollars spent on your airfare. If you use air miles you may not be reimbursed for them.

What expenses can be reimbursed before travel?

  • Original receipts are required for reimbursement of:
    • Registration expenses
    • Airfare expenses that have been purchased on a WWU Corporate Travel Visa
  • Contact Travel Services 650-6640 if you have a question regarding a type of expense not listed here.

What types of travel costs cannot be reimbursed with Chart 1 (State) Funds?

The following types of travel-related costs shall not be reimbursed with state funds.

  1. Alcoholic beverage expenses.
  2. The cost of the daily commute between the traveler’s official station (or telecommuting site) and official residence.
  3. Certain travel expenses are considered as personal and not essential to the transaction of official state business. Such non-reimbursable expenses include, but are not limited to:
    • Valet services unless required for a person with a disability. Valet parking may be permitted for reasons of health and safety.
    • Entertainment expenses.
    • Transportation costs to or from places of entertainment and other non-state business locations including dinner at conferences.
    • Costs of personal trip insurance (such as personal accident insurance, personal effects insurance, and extended liability insurance), and medical and hospital services.
    • Personal telephone calls.
    • Any tips or gratuities associated with personal expenses such as those listed here.
    • Out of pocket charges for vehicle service calls caused by the negligence of the traveler.
    • Tolls associated with the use of high occupancy toll (HOT) lanes.
    • Fines from appropriate jurisdictions for all parking tickets, citations or infractions received while operating a vehicle on state business (privately owned vehicle, rental vehicle or state owned vehicle).

How do I pay back a travel expense?

If you need to pay back a travel expense, please ensure you have the correct budget information and make your payment for free by electronic check or by credit card with a small fee here: Travel Expense Repayment Site.


If you have questions please contact