Business Services

While You Travel

While traveling on behalf of Western Washington University, you’re on the clock. That means your time is reportable based on your itinerary and the official times you are working during that travel.

  1. Pro Tip:  Generate your Travel Reimbursement before you go.  You can take pictures of receipts with a camera phone and email them to yourself.  You can attach receipts in TEM from a laptop while you travel and adjust your expenses while you are gone.
  2. A shared best practice for long international is to save all receipts in envelopes for each date trips and seal envelopes until return.  Unnecessary receipts can be sorted out later.
  3. If you are claiming per diem for others, obtain a signature from them. 
    For example: “Victor Viking received $27.25 on Jul-15-2015 and Will not request reimbursement.”  This may be done as a spreadsheet.
  4. Ensure your lodging receipt reflects your payment.
  5. Obtain translations for receipts in foreign languages.

Emergency Information Traveling Abroad

If you are traveling on a Western faculty‐led study abroad program, please consult the Faculty Director's Emergency Guide at Global Learning Programs Safety Toolkit

If you are traveling on a study abroad program or a student exchange program, please consult with your host organization and follow their emergency response protocols.

If you are traveling on your own (faculty, staff, or student doing independent study abroad, including internships), you can follow the guidance outlined below, but we encourage you to create your own personalized plan:

  1. Care for injured party. Always attend to the immediate needs of the affected individual(s) first.  Having current CPR/First Aid training would be useful.
  2. Know your local emergency services.  Know how to contact law enforcement agencies and emergency medical services having jurisdiction over your travel location. Determine your host country’s 911 equivalent.
  3. Notify your unit leadership:
    • All study abroad programs - Director of International Programs & Exchanges
    • Student doing independent study abroad, including internships - Director of International Programs & Exchanges
    • Faculty on independent travel – Your chair or dean
    • Staff on independent travel – Your supervisor or director
    • Contact University Police during evenings and weekends.  Ask them to do a call out to your unit leadership.
  4. Depending on the severity of the emergency, a response team may be assembled or the President may decide to declare an emergency under the University’s Emergency Management Plan.

  5. Contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  If you registered online with the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), they should have your information.  Or you may call Overseas Citizens Services while abroad at 1.202.501.4444 (from the U.S. at 1.888.407.4747).
  6. Individual health plan provider. Contact the affected individual’s health plan provider for instructions for evaluation and treatment.  Have the individual’s insurance ID card ready when you contact them.  Many study or travel abroad health plans provide additional benefits such as emergency assistance, medical expense, repatriation, medical evacuation, and security/disaster evacuation.

  7. If you are an injured employee or volunteer, you will need to contact the University’s Workers Compensation Claims Manager, 360.650.2947.
  8. Media inquiries. If contacted by members of the media, please refer them to the Office of University Communications, 360.650.3350
  9. Keep a log. Keep a written log of events concerning the emergency.


Here are online resources that you can use for your planning: