Motions and Recommendations passed by the
Academic Coordinating Commission 2006-07
Thomas Downing, Chair
|Writing Proficiency to apply over several courses.||
Writing Proficiency Requirement applied over several courses (Motion Tabled).
· Chair Hearne reported that the writing proficiency requirement is an attribute applying to a particular course. Some departments had asked to allocate the requirement over several different courses, applying a kind of point system to the level of writing provided in each to meet the overall proficiency requirement. ACC had placed a moratorium on this.
· A department wanted to distribute writing proficiency over 3 courses having 1/3 unit per course. This prevents the same teacher from being burdened with the entire writing proficiency responsibility.
· The proposal to reverse the moratorium came as a Motion moved and seconded from the Executive Committee of the ACC.
· Motion: Departments can distribute writing proficiency points over the year long schedule and are recommended to apply this distribution only to required courses in the major.
· Commissioners asked that the motion be deferred so that prior to the next meeting a list of writing proficiency courses and the departments that offer them can be provided. Karen Perry agreed to provide such a list.
James Sanders moved to table the motion, seconded by Lauren Balisky, which Commissioners passed