The WWU Family Connection newsletter is a monthly e-newsletter sent to all families throughout the year, produced by Western's Office of Communications and New Student Services/Family Outreach.
If you would like to receive your own copy of WWU Family Connection every month, click here to sign up.
Questions? Send us a note.
Keep scrolling to see highlights from recent Family Connection newsletters.
- Plan to join us (virtually) for Fall Family Weekend
- Western Libraries, the Tutoring Center and the Research and Writing Studio offer remote support
- Share this tip with your students: Take advantage of faculty Office Hours
- It's already time for students to think about winter quarter classes
- Students receiving financial aid must stay on track toward their degree
- Weekly webinars help students prepare to launch their careers
See the October 2020 edition.
- Western is preparing for a safe, healthy start to fall quarter
- Students must get a COVID-19 test before moving in or starting classes on campus
- Western faculty have been preparing all summer for remote learning this fall
- Students share their wisdom on 'Tips for New Vikings'
- Virtual events will kick off fall quarter for students
- As students settle in to their new off campus homes, a few tips on being a good neighbor
See the September 2020 edition.
Summer 2020 for New Families
- Orientation is Online for Families and Students
- A warm welcome to Western from President Sabah Randhawa
- The New Viking Handbook has campus-wide connections
- Still have questions about housing?
- Families make a difference: Talk to your students about preventing COVID 19
- Paint B'ham Blue is a celebration for new students
See the Summer 2020 edition.
- Video Message from Sabah: Racial Violence Has No Place in Our Communities
- Resources for moving out of off-campus housing
- Learn about virtual courses and internships abroad
- Telehealth and tele-mental health resources available to students
- Summer Session registration is still open
- Commencement Update
See the June 2020 edition.
- How students can apply for federal CARES grants
- Resources for students in need because of the pandemic
- Plans are coming together for virtual commencement
- Career Center offers virtual networking opportunities
- Important things to know about declaring a major
- Degree Works helps students stay on the path to graduation
See the May 2020 edition.
- President Randhawa: We are preparing for online learning with a spirit of innovation and exploration
- How will it all work? Visit the WWU Spring 2020 Complete Guide for online learning support
- If your income has changed, Financial Aid wants to hear from you
- WWU support resources are going online to keep serving students
- Tips for families from the Counseling Center
- How to support your students who are home and attending class online
See the April 2020 edition.
- Stay informed on Western's response to COVID-19
- Students can plan for their next move at the Off Campus Housing Fair
- March is the beginning of scholarship season
- The Counseling Center is reaching out to new students
- Spring break conversation starters
- Learn more about personal pronouns
See the March 2020 edition.
- Western Lobby Day in Olympia
- Hiring is on for campus jobs in summer and next academic year
- Several events on campus celebrate Black History Month
- Scholarship Fair Feb. 25 features advice and tips
- Winter is here and the Outdoor Center is ready
See the February 2020 edition.
- Students make global plans at the Go Abroad Fair
- Western's inclement weather page has information for snowy days on campus
- Winter quarter is a great time to plan for internships
- Events help students plan their move off campus
- Assistance for students facing academic challenges
See the January 2020 edition.
- Career Services Center helps students prepare for graduate school
- Western's Education Abroad office wants to hear your questions about studying abroad
- Recruitment begins soon for peer-leadership jobs on campus
- What happens when it snows at Western?
- Off Campus Living: A reminder about fire safety
See the December 2019 edition.
- Family Handbook is available in Spanish
- The Counseling Center offers resources for families
- Academic Advising: Planning for Winter Quarter
- Tutoring Center helps students move forward
- Making social connections in college
See the November 2019 edition.
- Make plans to join your student on campus for Fall Family Weekend
- The Student Business Office: What families need to know
- Make sure you're getting the latest alerts from Western
- Career Center offers resources for families
- Help is available for academic challenges
See the October 2019 edition.
- Are you ready for Move In Weekend?
- Western Welcome Week gets students ready for the year
- Smart tips on managing college costs
- How do I address mail to my student on campus?
- Personal safety is everyone's responsibility
See the September 2019 edition.