Leaving Western

Whether leaving Western through retirement, layoff or termination we hope the following information will be helpful in your transition.

If you are leaving for medical reasons, please contact FMLA/Disability Services at 360-650-3771.


Frequently Asked Questions

How much notice do I need to give to my supervisor prior to leaving?  How do I give this notice?

  • Employees who are resigning from Western should provide reasonable notice (no less than two weeks) and indicate their resignation in writing (either via email or letter indicating their last work date) to their immediate supervisor.  We encourage you to schedule a one-on-one, or complete an online exit interview.

Top of Page

When is my final paycheck?

  • Your final paycheck will be issued on the next regularly scheduled pay date following your termination date.  It will be distributed as usual (i.e. direct deposit, home address) unless other arrangements are made.

Top of Page

What happens to my vacation leave balance?

  • If you have a vacation balance, and have 6 months of continuous service the balance of your vacation will be paid on your final paycheck (as long as you have completed your final timesheet).  Additionally, for Professional Staff, if you are leaving involuntarily or retiring, your vacation balance will be paid out even if there has not been 6 months of continuous service.

Top of Page

What happens to my sick leave balance?

  • If you are retiring from your position (as of 01/01/2013) and you are:
    • Professional Staff: Your sick time will be paid out at 25% into a VEBA account for future medical expenses
    • Bargaining unit A, D or E:  Your sick time will be paid out at 25% into a VEBA account for future medical expenses
    • Bargaining Unit B:  Your sick time will be paid out at 25% into a VEBA account for future medical expenses
    • Bargaining Unit PTE:  Your sick time will be paid out at 25% into a VEBA account for future medical expenses
  • If you are terminating from your position, your sick time will be forfeited.

Top of Page

When do my medical/dental benefits end?

  • Your medical/dental benefits end on the last day of the month in which your termination date occurs.  Once you terminate, you will receive information regarding COBRA directly from the Health Care Authority - Public Employees Benefits Board (PEBB).  If you have questions about COBRA, please visit the PEBB website at http://www.pebb.hca.wa.gov.

Top of Page

What do I do with my keys, library books or other University property?

  • Arrangements should be made with the appropriate departments to return all University property, such as keys (keys should be returned to the Lock Shop), p-cards, books, uniforms, pagers, cell phones, etc.)

Top of Page

Can I finish the classes I am taking through the Tuition Fee Waiver?

  • Upon termination, the tuition fee waiver benefit will cease at the end of the current term.

Top of Page

I am being laid off, are there any services to help me with this transition?

  • Please visit our Outplacement Center, and contact our Employment Administrator, Stephanie Ludemann (Stephanie.Ludemann@wwu.edu) at 360-650-3306.  The Outplacement Center has been established to help employees who are impacted by layoff to understand their benefits, market themselves online, create professional cover letters and resumes, learn/update interview skills and utilize job search resources.

Top of Page

What happens to the 'Viking Dollars' on my Western Card?

  • You will need to submit a written request for a refund of your remaining balance to University Dining Services, Edens Hall 109

Top of Page

Can I still use my parking pass?

  • If you are no longer an employee, you will become a visitor and no longer eligible for a long-term parking permit.  You will be asked to return the permit for a refund.  The refund will be prorated from the day Parking Services receives the physical permit.

Top of Page

Can I still use my membership at Wade King Recreation Center?

  • If you are currently paying your membership dues via payroll deduction, your membership would stop when you terminate.  If you paid for your membership in one lump sum, you will be able to continue using your membership until that term expires.  There are no refunds on paid memberships; however, your membership will be honored until complete.

Top of Page

Can my child still be enrolled in the Child Development Center?

  • Your child(ren) can continue for one quarter, if there is space available and no one on the waiting list.  There may be opportunities to stay longer, as long as it is not taking a spot from a current student or employee.

Top of Page

Exit Interview Process

As soon as Human Resources has received notification of your termination, we will send you an email where you can access the 'Exit Interview' survey.  If you do not have access to a computer, this form will be mailed to you through campus mail.  If you would rather, you can have this interview conducted one-on-one with a Human Resources representative of your choice.

Who?:  This survey will be conducted with all terminating employees, except for students

Why?:  We were voted as one of the 'Great Colleges to Work For' in 2011 and want to remain best-in-class; you are essential in this process.  With the information you provide we will be able to focus on our strengths and opportunities.

Are My Answers Confidential?:  Your exit interview is filed confidentially in Human Resources. Collective comments, suggestions and concerns (not specific to a person) that could be helpful in correcting working conditions may be shared with departments.  If there are any legal, policy or procedure issues that are identified through this process, the information will be shared with the appropriate individuals.

Contact?:  You can contact Stephanie Ludemann (Stephanie.Ludemann@wwu.edu) at 360-650-3306 with questions or to initiate your interview.

Top of Page

          AHA 2012 Platinum Achievement 2014 Leaders In Health Care Award Western Sustainability Office Certification
Page Updated 03.06.2015