Studying both Spanish and German provides students not only with the skills required to speak the languages, but also the opportunity to learn about and appreciate Hispanic and Germanic societies, cultures, and artistic expressions. The guiding principle of the curriculum is that one of the best ways to understand a culture is directly through its language.
The Spanish program at Western places a strong emphasis on building a solid grammar and vocabulary base, with an equal emphasis on cultural awareness through culture, film, literature, and linguistics courses. The German program offers a wide range of courses in language, literature, culture, drama, film, and linguistics. The multifaceted and integrated programs of the department provide an opening to the world through language, literature, culture and civilization. The study of both Spanish and German becomes a meeting place for true diversity.
Beyond the Classroom
With both resources and events from both the Spanish and German programs, German/Spanish students have the opportunity to participate in a variety of extracurricular activities:
- German Table (Stammtisch), or Spanish Table at Rudy’s Pizzeria in downtown Bellingham
- Intramural German soccer team
- German Club
- Sigma Delta Pi, The National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society
- WELP (Western Employee Language Program)
- Spanish Program Volunteer Opportunities
- Cultural Ambassadors Program in Spain: North American Language and Cultural Assistants in Spain
Careers and Graduate Studies
Students in the Spanish/German program graduate with career and continued education plans from locally to all over the world.
- Foreign Correspondent
- Foreign Service Officer
- FBI Agent
- Foreign Diplomat
- Travel Writer