FAQs for Summer 2019 Commencement
August 24, 2019 in the Carver Academic Facility
How are tickets distributed?
Tickets are not required for Summer Commencement.
Seats will be used on a first come, first served basis.
How do I sign up for the commencement ceremony?
When and where is the apparel distribution?
Graduation Celebration, Friday, August 23rd
Bachelor's & Master’s candidates at Graduation Celebration:
- VU 565 from 12 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Commencement Day, Saturday, August 24:
- Apparel: 8:30 am – 10:00 am, Alumni Tent in Red Square
What time is Commencement?
- The ceremony begins at 9:45 a.m.
- Lobby doors open for guests at 9:00 a.m.
- Guests please be seated in the Carver Academic Facility 5 minutes before the start of each ceremony.
- Line-up for Baccalaureate and Master's candidates in Red Square at 9:15 a.m.
- Line-up for Faculty in Red Square at 9:15 a.m.
- Procession begins at 9:45 am. The lobby doors are closed to guests during the procession. The doors will reopen to guests once the procession has completed.
Where do I go on graduation day?
- Baccalaureate candidates report to Red Square.
- Masters candidates report to Red Square.
- Faculty report to Red Square.
- Families/Attendees go to the Carver Academic Facility and SMATE (additional viewing) Doors open at 9:00 a.m.
How long will the ceremony last?
Approximately 1½ hours
Can I bring balloons and signs into the ceremony for my graduate?
Signs are a great way to show support for your graduate. However, we do ask that signs not be too large. A sign should not prohibit the view of other guests and should be comfortable to hold and set in front of you in the bleachers during the ceremony.
WWU has decided balloons will not be allowed in the gymnasium of Carver Academic Facility due to the new fire alarm system. Please leave balloons in the car and feel free to bring other gifts for graduates. There will be flower and lei sales on site.
What alternative accommodations are included for guests?
ADA parking is available in lot 17G & 11G.
Arrangements have been made if your guest:
- is unable to climb stairs
- is in a wheelchair
- needs sign language interpretation
If you have questions about accommodations for guests, or would like more information, please contact commencement staff by email. (Washington State TDD Relay Service, 800-833-6388)
Is there a commencement rehearsal for graduates?
Where is the Lost & Found?
Please check with the University Police (360-650-3555) or with the Viking Union Lost & Found Office (360-650-3120). Please note that the Viking Union Lost & Found is closed during breaks. You may call at the beginning of the quarter. Most lost valuable items will go directly to the University Police after the ceremony.
Where can I watch the ceremony on television?
- On campus, SMATE building.
- Off campus, visit our live-streaming site online.
Where can I order graduation announcements and/or rings?
To order announcements or rings please visit the Alumni Association website.
Will there be a shuttle? If so, where does it pickup?
Shuttle bus service will be available from the 12A parking lot off South College Drive. The shuttle service begins at 8:00a.m. to 12:30 p.m. or until there is no demand. There will be one ADA equipped shuttle that will accommodate two wheelchairs per route. Guests in wheelchairs may take this shuttle or they may park in designated lots in 17G & 11G. Parking attendants will be available to assist guests with special parking needs.
Is special handicapped parking available and, if so, where?
Yes, in lots 17G and 11G
What services on Campus will be open?
The Atrium Market and Starbucks | TBD
Bookstore | TBD
When will I receive my actual diploma?
Diplomas will be mailed 6-8 weeks after the commencement ceremony.