[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Registrar's Office

Course Information

Auditors are persons who desire to attend courses without earning credit. Admission as an auditor requires prior approval of the instructor and the Registrar’s Office. Since auditors are not active participants, certain courses may not be audited: those include, but are not limited to physical education activities, laboratory courses, studio courses, independent study courses, modern language courses, courses not taught in a group setting, and any other course the Registrar deems ineligible. Auditing a course cannot be used toward successful completion of academic credit.

Auditors are not allowed to register until the first day of the quarter, and the limit of the course must not have reached the maximum. Changes to or from audit cannot be made after the first week of the quarter.

Students enrolled for 10 or more non-audited credits may audit a course without an additional charge. Students enrolled for less than 10 credits will be charged $10 per credit to audit a course. Students approved to register for an audit are responsible for paying any course fees attached to the course. Students enrolled in off-campus, self-supporting programs, who choose to audit are required to pay the full amount of tuition and fees.

The Registrar’s Office grants course registration privileges on a space-available basis, for one term at a time, to non matriculated applicants, Washington state employees, WWU staff, and residents over 60 years of age who are eligible for tuition reduction. Special students and non matriculated students must submit a Special Student Enrollment Form to the Registrar’s Office each quarter.

Students registering in certain courses are charged additional fees for purchase of special laboratory and studio supplies and for special services such as music practice room rentals. These fees are listed with each course in the online Timetable of Classes.

Courses numbered from 100 to 299 are classified as lower division; those numbered from 300-499 as upper division. Generally, the first digit of a course number indicates its intended class level:

  • 100-199 first-year courses
  • 200-299 second-year courses
  • 300-399 third-year courses
  • 400-499 fourth-year courses
  • 500-599 open only to graduate students
  • 600-699 post-master degree courses

Only courses numbered 100 or above appear on the official transcript. Except in unusual circumstances, students are not permitted to take courses more than one year above their class standing.

The numbers 197, 297, 397, 497 and 597 are used for courses generally offered only once. The numbers 137, 237, 337, 437, 537 are reserved for International Studies (2-15). These courses are offered through the WWU International Studies program or through colleges. Contact the Office of International Programs and Exchanges, College Hall 104, for information. Repeatable with different subject matter. The number 117 is reserved for First Year Experience (FYE) courses.

The numbers 217(a-l) and 317(a-l) are reserved for Special Topics (1-6). Topics vary. Repeatable with different subjects. The numbers 217(m-z) and 317(m-z) are reserved for Special Topics (1-6) in extension programs. Topics vary. Repeatable with different subjects. The numbers 417, 517 are reserved for Senior Seminar or Special Topics (1-6). Topics vary. Repeatable with different subjects. The numbers 445, 545 are reserved for Current Trends (1-6). Topics vary. Repeatable with different subjects.

The numbers 300, 400, 500 are reserved to designate Directed Independent Study (1-15), enabling students to pursue, on an individual basis, topics not covered by the curriculum. The number 699, continuous enrollment, is reserved for master’s degree students in their final quarter who have registered for all their course work. Contact the Graduate School for further information. Details regarding titles, prerequisites, number of credits and grading for specific courses can be found in the online Timetable of Classes, or the Summer Bulletin.

In some cases, a new course may be offered in the Summer Session prior to appearing in the University Catalog. Such a course would be described in the Summer Bulletin on the web. Any undergraduate student wishing to enroll in a course numbered 500 or higher must obtain the written approval of the dean of the Graduate School. (See the Graduate School section of the University Catalog.) Courses listed in the University Catalog constitute a record of the total academic program of the University. Except for unforeseen scheduling and personnel circumstances, it is expected that each course will be offered during the period of the catalog. For an exact scheduling of courses at Western, students should consult the annual online Timetable of Classes or the online Summer Bulletin.

Indicate CRNs on all registration forms (e.g. 13002). All Fall Quarter CRNs begin with a 4, Winter Quarter CRNs begin with a 1, Spring Quarter CRNs begin with a 2 and Summer Quarter CRNs begin with a 3.

A few courses are approved to be repeated for credit. Such approval is included with the course description in the WWU University Catalog. If a course not designated as repeatable for credit is re-taken, the following will apply:

  • Students may not repeat any previously passed course more than once.
  • Credit will be awarded only once for a repeated course.
  • The last grade earned will be used in the computation of the cumulative and major grade point averages.
  • All grades will remain on the student’s official record.
  • A course cannot be repeated to change the student’s grade point average after a baccalaureate degree has been awarded.
  • Students wishing to repeat a class in which they already received a P, S, or C- or better grade may not register for the class until Phase III of registration. Students, in this circumstance, who register for a repeated course prior to Phase III, may be required by the academic department or Registrar's Office to drop the course. The repeat registration for English composition prior to Phase III requires the written permission of the chair of the department.

The student who registers to repeat a course should file a 'Course Repeat Card' with the Registrar's Office. Unless this card is filed, the repeat may not be detected until the graduation evaluation, at which time cumulative credits will be reduced.

Master's degree students are not permitted to repeat courses.

Course Withdrawal that occur prior to the fifth day of the quarter are considered to be a change of initial registration and results in no entry on the permanent record (transcript). To withdraw from a course during the first five days of the quarter,a student must complete the transaction on Web4U.

Students who drop courses may be entitled to a refund or a portion of the tuition and fees for a given quarter depending on the time of the quarter the transaction is completed. Please note:

  • Courses dropped before the sixth day of the quarter may be entitled to a full refund
  • Courses dropped after the sixth day of the quarter and within the first 30 calendar days may be entitled to onehalf
  • Courses dropped after the 30th day will not receive a refund.

Refer to Tuition Fees and Rates table.

Course withdrawals that occur from the beginning of the sixth day of the quarter to the end of the second week will result in no entry on the permanent record (official transcript), but a mark of XM will appear with the withdrawn course on the unofficial record (academic history). Withdrawals that occur beginning the sixth day of the quarter may affect a student’s tuition charges and may result only in a half-tuition refund. There also may be implications for financial aid recipients’ awards. To withdraw from a course after the first five days of a quarter, a student must present the request in person at the Registrar’s Office. Beginning the third week of the quarter, a mark of "W" is posted for each withdrawn course.

Course withdrawal from the beginning of the third week to the end of the seventh week is permitted only if the student has an unused annual withdrawal privilege. Each student is granted two annual withdrawal privileges at the beginning of the academic year in fall quarter. The annual withdrawal privileges can be used during fall, winter, spring or summer quarter. (See note on summer below.) Unused annual withdrawals cannot be used in subsequent years. To use an annual withdrawal privilege, a student must present the request in person at the Registrar’s Office.

After the seventh week of the quarter, course withdrawal is not permitted. Discontinued attendance without official withdrawal results in a failing grade (Z or F). Course withdrawal deadlines are published in the dates and deadlines section of the Registrar’s Office website and the Summer Session Bulletin on the Web.

To withdraw from an extension course, a student must file the appropriate form through the extension office. For specific site information, see the Extended Education section in the University Catalog.

Students may drop an Independent Learning course at any time by contacting the Independent Learning Office in writing. There is no refund 30 days after registration.

It is recommended that no more than 10 credits of directed independent study be applied toward the degree, although some programs are more restrictive. A graduate student registering for a 500 or 400 independent study course used for the degree develops a contract (online form) with the instructor, which is then reviewed and approved by the graduate program advisor, department chair and the Graduate School. Independent study credit normally will not be given when the student is paid for engaging in the work described on the contract (e.g., internship, work-study projects, graduate assistantships).

Undergraduate students see the instructor to obtain the Directed Independent Study Permit. Obtain all required signatures, then go in person to the Registrar’s Office, Old Main 230, to have the permit processed. TO DROP A DIRECTED INDEPENDENT STUDY COURSE, YOU MUST GO IN PERSON TO THE REGISTRAR'S OFFICE.

Fairhaven Students:

  • See Fairhaven College Independent Study Guideline handout.
  • Seek preliminary faculty advisement.
  • Complete proposal form and submit to faculty sponsor.
  • Register for the independent study course online within the first six days of the quarter.

Graduate students requiring an independent study course need to complete the online form, Independent Study Contract and Registration Approval Form, and submit it online to the professor and then to the Graduate Office for approval.

Students may choose the Pass/No Pass grading option in certain elective courses. The minimum level of performance required to receive a grade of P varies from course to course and is determined by each instructor or department. Students should not assume that performance equal to a grade of D or higher will result in a passing mark. Often performance at the level of C or higher is required. Regulations pertaining to Pass/No Pass grading are as follows:

  • Courses graded Pass/No Pass may not be applied to the major and minor, supporting courses, professional education requirements, upper-division writing proficiency requirement and General University Requirements
  • Graduate courses taken for the graduate degree cannot be taken Pass/No Pass. Courses graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory cannot be taken Pass/No Pass
  • Courses graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory cannot be taken Pass/No Pass
  • To designate a course as Pass/No Pass students must submit a request at the Registrar's Office after registering for the course; they may change this designation by submitting the change to the Registrar's Office at any time through the fourth week of a quarter; for extension program courses, pass / no pass grading designation may be elected up to the end of the fourth week for regular quarter-long courses, or prior to the second class meeting for shorter courses
  • Prerequisites, work required and credit allowed may be affected by election of the Pass/No Pass option
  • In computing grade averages, neither the P nor NP grade in Pass/No Pass courses is counted
  • Should a student change his or her major or minor, the academic departments involved are the sole judges of the acceptability of any Pass/No Pass courses already completed in the newly chosen major or minor
  • Once a student has earned NP grades in courses totaling 10 credits, he or she may no longer register for courses under the Pass/No Pass option

NOTE: Excessive use of the Pass/No Pass grading system may negatively influence admission to some graduate or professional schools.

Upper-division writing proficiency requirement: complete a minimum of three writing proficiency points in approved upper-division writing proficiency courses at WWU with a minimum grade of C-. Students must complete Block B or C of the Communications GUR requirement before enrolling in a writing proficiency course. All Western writing proficiency courses should follow these University-wide guidelines:

  • Students write multiple drafts of assigned papers
  • All students must complete a minimum of three writing proficiency points in approved upper-division writing-proficiency courses at WWU with a minimum grade of C-

Upper-division writing proficiency courses emphasize research and writing. In writing proficiency courses, students learn the writing style and conventions of their disciplines, as well as the techniques for integrating evidence into scholarly papers. Writing proficiency courses are listed in the online Timetable of Classes.