Social Justice Toolkit
Engaging social justice in the classroom and in teaching resources.
- Five Essential Components for Social Justice Education, Heather W. Hackman, Equity & Excellence in Education
- Teaching Social Justice in Theory and Practice, Caitrin Blake, Concordia University, 2015
- Teaching Social Justice on Campus for Self Awareness, Community Sustainability, and Systems Change, Judy Rashid, 2019
- Understanding Education for Social Justice, Kathy Hytten and Silvia C. Bettez, 2011
Glossaries of Social Justice Terms
- ABC’s of Social Justice: A Glossary of Working Language for Socially Conscious Conversation, Department of Inclusion & Multicultural Engagement, Lewis & Clark College
- Diversity and Social Justice: A Glossary of Terms, Office of Multicultural Affairs, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Diversity and Social Justice Glossary, Diversity Resource Center, University of Washington
- Creating Inclusive College Classrooms, Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, University of Michigan
- Dignity and respect in the classroom, Dr Iain Mossman, Cardiff University, focuses on addressing difficult or sensitive topics
- From Safe Spaces to Brave Spaces, Samantha Hines, Peninsula College, WLA Learn Local, 2017
- Guidelines for Social Justice Conversations and Personal Growth – Listen Up!, Washington Library Association
- Safe Spaces, Difficult Dialogues, and Critical Thinking, International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2013
Models for Teaching for Social Justice
- A Critical reflection model to teach diversity and social justice, Journal of Praxis in Multicultural Education, 2010
- Foregrounding Equity in Teacher Education: Toward a Model of Social Justice Pedagogical and Content Knowledge, Journal of Teacher Education, 2017
- In Real Time: From Theory to Practice in a Critical Race Pedagogy Classroom, Van T. Lac, i.e.: inquiry in education, 2017
Social Justice Frameworks
- Approaches to Cultivating Social Change, Equity Literacy Institute
- Imagining Social Justice within a Communicative Framework, Tim Huffman, Journal of Social Justice
- So Just Make a Difference: A Unique Approach to Leadership and Social Justice Education, Kathy L. Guthrie and Amber E. Hampton, 2017
Universities and Higher Education
- A Social Justice Approach to Building Community in Higher Education Today, Ajay Nair and Corlisse Thomas, Insight into Diversity, 2019
- Higher education and social justice: engaging the normative with the analytical, Jennifer M. Case, Centre for Global Higher Education working paper series, 2017
- Social Justice: Creating an Inclusive University Culture, ACE (American Council on Education), Charlita Shelton - defines diversity emphasizing authenticity
Assignment Ideas and Practices
- Diversity and Inclusion in the College Classroom, Faculty Focus. A report of 20 articles containing practical assignment ideas and practices, 2017
- Inclusive Practices for Managing Controversial Issues in the Classroom, Flinders University
- Social Justice Toolbox, Contains a variety of activities designed for understanding social justice issues
- Teaching Note - Integrating a Social Justice Assignment Into a Research Methods Course, Susan C. Mapp, 2013
- Understanding Social Injustice by Walking in Another Person's Shoes, Fred Bemak, Rita Chi-Ying Chung, Action Teaching, 2014
- Exploring Eco-Privilege, EllaBakerCenter.org
- Diversity Toolkit: A Guide to Discussing Identity, Power and Privilege, University of Southern California
- Sample Activities & Templates for Exploring Privilege, Power, and Oppression, University of Michigan
Exploring Social Justice
- A Collection of Resources for Teaching Social Justice, Cult of Pedagogy
- Exploring Social Justice Through Music, Daniel C. Byrd and Denise L. Levy, Association for Psychological Science
- From Charity to Justice: The Potential of University-Community Collaboration for Social Change, American Behavioral Scientist
- Social Justice Service-Learning Assignment, Eastern Michigan University
- Toolkit for Preparing Students for Service-Learning, University of N. Carolina
- Guidelines for Discussing Difficult or Controversial Topics, Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, University of Michigan
- Guidelines for Discussing Incidents of Hate, Bias, and Discrimination, Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, University of Michigan
- Managing Difficult Classroom Discussions, Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning, Indiana University Bloomington
- Managing Hot Moments in the Classroom, Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard University
- Respect Differences? Challenging the Common Guidelines in Social Justice Education, Özlem Sensoy and Robin DiAngelo, Democracy & Education
- Myths and Moral Panics: An Active Learning Approach to Controversial Topics, Karen A. Mason, Ph.D., Lisa T. Briggs, Ph.D., Western Carolina University
- Plan Classroom Discussions at Least as Carefully as Lectures, University of Wisconsin Whitewater
- Social Justice Fridays, The Banneker Institute, Harvard University. List of social justice topics with suggested readings and discussion questions.
- An Inevitable Question: Exploring the Defining Features of Social Justice Art Education, Marit Dewhurst
- Arts Activism: Praxis in Social Justice, Critical Discourse, and Radical Modes of Engagement, Karen Frostig Newton, Art Therapy: Journal of the American Art Therapy Association
- Public Pedagogy and Social Justice in Arts Education, The International Journal of Art & Design Education
- Street Canvas Lesson Plan, Arts for Social Justice Program, Santa Clara University
- Business Education for Corporate Social Responsibility and Social Justice, Shannon Deer and Jill Zarestky
- Business pedagogy for social justice? An exploratory investigation of business faculty perspectives of social justice in business education, Madeline Toubiana, Management Learning
- Social Justice in the Business and Professional Communication Curriculum, Melinda Knight, Business and Professional Communication Quarterly
- Preparing Teachers of Young Children to be Social Justice-Oriented Educators, Celia Oyler
- Taking on teaching for social justice, UW College of Education
- Teacher Education for Social Change: Transforming a Content Methods Course Block, Scott Ritchie, Neporcha Cone, Sohyun An, Patricia Bullock
- Teaching for Social Justice transforms curriculum, educator mindset and improves student learning, McCarthey Dressman Education Foundation
- Using Their Words: Six Elements of Social Justice Curriculum Design for the Elementary Classroom, International Journal of Multicultural Education
- Archives for All: Professional Responsibility and Social Justice, Randall C. Jimerson, The American Archivist
- Courage and Social Justice: History Students Engage New York's Immigrant and Refugee Communities, Patricia Moynagh and Lori R. Weintrob, American Historical Association
- Critical Directions for Archival Approaches to Social Justice, Ricardo L. Punzalan and Michelle Caswell, The Library Quarterly
- Whose History is it Anyway?, Ian Johnston, Journal of the Society of Archivists
Humanities & Social Sciences
- Psychology’s Unique Approaches to Social Justice, Key Sun, Association for Psychological Science
- Putting Social Justice into Practice in Psychology Courses, Steven A. Meyers, Association for Psychological Science
- Social Justice Storytelling: Giving our Students More than Just an Education in Speech, Phillip E. Wagner, Discourse: The Journal of the SCASD
- Teaching Social Justice in Counseling Psychology, Sue L. Motulsky, Susan H. Gere, Rakhshanda Saleem, and Sidney M. Trantham
- Indigenous Social Justice Pedagogy: Teaching into the Risks and Cultivating the Heart, Valerie J. Shirley, University of Arizona
- A Native American Approach to Teaching and Learning, Lauen Wakau-Villagomez, D'Youville College
- Teach Standing Rock With Purpose, Teaching Tolerance
- Overview: How can we promote equity in science education?, STEM Teaching Tools
- The State of Diversity in Environmental Organizations, Dorceta E. Taylor, University of Michigan
- Traversing STEM: Creating Pathways for Social Justice in the United States, Remy Dou, Florida International University
- Social and Environmental Justice in the Chemistry Classroom, Journal of Chemical Education
- STEM Education with a Social Justice Approach, Lynch School of Education, Boston College (YouTube video)
- Assessing Social Justice as a Learning Outcome in Honors, Naomi Yavneh Klos, Kendall Eskine, and Michael Pashkevich
- Assessment for social justice: the role of assessment in achieving social justice, Jan McArthur, Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education
- Considering Evaluation: Thoughts for Social Change and Movement-Building Groups, Catherine Borgman-Arboleda and Helene Clark
- Cultural Competency for Social Justice, Diane J. Goodman, Ed.D.
- Experiential Learning for Social Justice Core Assessment Rubric, Santa Clara University
- Social Justice VALUE Rubric - Viterbo University
- The Pedagogy of Assignments in Social Justice Teacher Education, Morva A. McDonald, Equity & Excellence in Education
- Social Justice Learning Objectives, University of Washington
- Social Justice Program Student Learning Outcomes, University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
- Student Learning Outcomes Social Justice Theory and Social Responsibility Praxis, Pitzer College
- Introduction to Social Justice, Lindsey McDougle, Rutgers University
- Multiculturalism for Social Justice in Higher Education, Demetri L. Morgan, Ph.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Education
- Politics of Environmental Justice syllabus, Melissa Harris-Perry, Wake Forest University - Anna Julia Cooper Cente
- Race, Class, and Social Justice Melissa Harris-Perry, Wake Forest University - Anna Julia Cooper Center
- Carry the Banner Where It Can Be Seen: Small Wins for Social Justice, Bernice Lott and Kate Webster, Social Justice Research, 2006.
- Liberal Education: Special Issue: Civic Engagement and Psychosocial Well Being, Bringing Theory to Practice.
- Social justice and equity issues in the higher education context / Literature analysis and synthesis: Development of a set of social justice principles, Queensland University of Technology, 2009.
- Social Justice and Equity Literature Review & Synopsis, Queensland University of Technology
- Thought and Action, Special Focus: Equity, Diversity & Social Justice, The NEA Higher Education Journal, 2015.
DisAbility + Justice
- Disability in Higher Education: A Social Justice Approach, by Nancy Evans, Ellen Broido, Kirsten Brown, and Autumn Wilke, 2017.
- Enabling University: Impairment, (Dis)ability and Social Justice in Higher Education, by Tara Brabazon, 2015.
- A Pathway to Access for All: Exploring the Connections Between Universal Instructional Design and Social Justice Education, Heather W. Hackman & Laura Rauscher
- Environmental Justice: Concepts, Evidence and Politics, by Gordon Walker, 2012.
- Forcing the Spring: The Transformation of the American Environmental Movement, by Robert Gottlieb, 2005.
- Love Canal Revisited: Race, Class, and Gender in Environmental Activism, by Elizabeth Blum, 2008.
- Slow Violence and the Environmentalism of the Poor, by Rob Nixon, 2013.
- Social Justice, Peace, and Environmental Education: Transformative Standards, by Julie Andrzejewski, Marta Baltodano, and Linda Symcox, 2009.
- Sustainable Communities and the Challenge of Environmental Justice, by Julian Agyeman, 2005.
- Sustainability: Approaches to Environmental Justice and Social Power, by Julie Sze, 2019.
- The Myth of Silent Spring: Rethinking the Origins of American Environmentalism, by Chad Montrie, 2019.
- What is Critical Environmental Justice?, by David Naguib Pellow, 2017.
Gender + Justice
- A Guide to Gender (2nd Edition): The Social Justice Advocate's Handbook, by Sam Killermann, 2017.
- Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide, by Nicholas D. Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, 2010.
- Living Out Islam: Voices of Gay, Lesbian, and Transgender Muslims, by Scott Siraj al-Haqq Kugle, 2013.
- Trans* in College: Transgender Students' Strategies for Navigating Campus Life and the Institutional Politics of Inclusion, by Z Nicolazzo, Stephen John Quaye, 2016.
- Two-Spirit People: Native American Gender Identity, Sexuality, and Spirituality, by Sue-Ellen Jacobs and Wesley Thomas, 1997.
- A People's History of the United States, by Howard Zinn, 2015.
- Native Seattle: Histories from the Crossing-Over Place, by Coll Thrush, 2017.
- The Great Arizona Orphan Abduction, by Linda Gordon, 2001.
Poverty + Social Justice
- Bandwidth Recovery, by Cia Verschelden, 2017.
- One Nation, Underprivileged: Why American Poverty Affects Us All, by Mark Robert Rank, 2005.
- Pedagogy of the Oppressed, by Paulo Freire and Myra Bergman Ramos, 2000.
- Under the Affluence: Shaming the Poor, Praising the Rich and Sacrificing the Future of America, by Tim Wise, 2015.
Education & Teaching
- Interrogating Whiteness and Relinquishing Power: White Faculty’s Commitment to Racial Consciousness in STEM Classrooms, edited by Nicole M. Joseph, Chayla Haynes, and Floyd Cobb, 2015.
- Race, Equity, and the Learning Environment: The Global Relevance of Critical and Inclusive Pedagogies in Higher Education, edited by Frank Tuitt, Chayla Haynes, and Saran Stewart, 2016.
- Raising Race Questions: Whiteness and Inquiry in Education, by Ali Michael, 2014.
- Whiteness in Higher Education: The Invisible Missing Link in Diversity and Racial Analyses: ASHE Higher Education Report, by Nolan Cabrera, Jeremy Franklin, and Jesse Watson, 2017.
Politics & History
- Between the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates, 2015.
- Clean and White: A History of Environmental Racism in the United States, by Carl Zimring, 2017.
- Colorblind: The Rise of Post-Racial Politics and the Retreat from Racial Equity, by Tim Wise, 2010.
- Racism without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in America, by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva, 2017.
- The Myth of Equality: Uncovering the Roots of Injustice and Privilege, by Ken Wytsma, 2017.
- When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir, by Patrisse Khan-Cullors, asha bandele, 2019.
- Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?: And Other Conversations About Race, by Beverly Daniel Tatum, 2017.
- Critical Race Theory: An Introduction, Second Edition, by Richard Delgado and Jean Stefancic, 2012.
- The Possessive Investment in Whiteness: How White People Profit from Identity Politics, by George Lipsitz, 2006.
- What Does It Mean to Be White?: Developing White Racial Literacy, by Robin DiAngelo, 2016.
- White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son, by Tim Wise, 2011.
- Witnessing Whiteness: The Need to Talk About Race and How to Do It, by Shelly Tochluk, 2010.
Social Justice Activism
- Do it Anyway: The Next Generation of Activists, by Courtney Martin, 2010.
- Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics, by bell hooks, 2014.
- Freedom Is a Constant Struggle: Ferguson, Palestine, and the Foundations of a Movement, by Angela Y. Davis, Frank Barat, 2016.
- I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban, by Malala Yousafzai, 2015.
- Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do?, by Michael J. Sandel, 2010.
- We Should All Be Feminists, by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, 2015.
Social Justice Education
- Becoming a Multicultural Educator: Developing Awareness, Gaining Skills, and Taking Action, by William Howe and Penelope Lisi, 2016.
- Case Studies on Diversity and Social Justice Education, by Paul C. Gorski, Seema G. Pothini, 2019.
- Education at War: The Fight for Students of Color in America's Public Schools, by Arshad Imtiaz and Tracy Buenavista, 2019.
- For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood. and the Rest of Y'all Too: Reality Pedagogy and Urban Education, by Christopher Emdin, 2017.
- Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools, by Jonathan Kozol, 1992.
- Teaching for Diversity and Social Justice, by Maurianne Adams, Lee Anne Bell, 2016.
- Whistling Vivaldi: How Stereotyping Affect Us and What We Can Do, by Claude M. Steele, 2011.
- Affirming Diversity: The Sociopolitical Context of Multicultural Education, by Sonia Nieto and Patty Bode, 2019.
- Intersectionality, by Hill Collins, Patricia and Sirma Bilge, 2016.
- Is Everyone Really Equal?: An Introduction to Key Concepts in Social Justice Education, by Ozlem Sensoy and Robin DiAngelo, 2017.
- Multiculturalism on Campus: Theory, Models, and Practices for Understanding Diversity and Creating Inclusion, by Michael J. Cuyjet, Chris Linder, 2016.
- Reclaiming the Multicultural Roots of U.S. Curriculum: Communities of Color and Official Knowledge in Education, by Wayne Au, Anthony L. Brown, 2016.
- Teaching Communication Activism: Communication Education for Social Justice, by Lawrence Fray and David Palmer, 2014.
- Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom, by bell hooks, 1994.
- Social Policy and Social Change: Toward the Creation of Social and Economic Justice, Jimenez, Jillian, Pasztor, Eileen Mayers, Chambers & Fujii, 2014
- Can Education Change Society, Apple, Routledge, 2012.
- Is Everyone Really Equal? An Introduction to Key Concepts in Social Justice Education, Sensoy, Ozlem, Teachers College Press, 2011
- Pedagogy of the Oppressed, Freire, Paulo, Continuum, 2000
- Sentipensante (Sensing/Thinking) Pedagogy: Educating for Wholeness, Social Justice and Liberation, Rendon, Stylus Publishing, 2014.
- Teaching for Diversity and Social Justice, Adams, Maurianne, et al., Routledge, 2007
- Teaching to Transgress: Education as the Practice of Freedom, Hooks, Routledge, 1994.
Teaching About Priviledged Identities
- Helping Students Explore Their Privileged Identities, Association of American Colleges & Universities, 2010.
- Teaching for Diversity and Social Justice, edited by Maurianne Adams and Lee Anne Bell, 2017.
- Promoting Diversity and Social Justice: Educating People from Privileged Groups, by Dianne J. Goodman, 2011.
- Privilege, Power, and Difference, by Allan G. Johnson, 2005.
- Privilege: A Reader, by Michael S. Kimmel and Abby L. Ferber, 2016.
- Uprooting Racism - 4th edition: How White People Can Work for Racial Justice, by Paul Kivel, 2017.
Theatre + Social Justice
- Cultural Performance: Ethnographic Approaches to Performance Studies, by Kevin Landis and Suzanne Macaulay, 2017.
- Drama and Social Justice: Theory, research and practice in international contexts, by Kelly Freebody and Michael Finneran, 2017.
- Music, Song, Dance, and Theater: Broadway meets Social Justice Youth Community Practice, by Melvin Delgado, 2017.
- Theatre for Community Conflict and Dialogue: The Hope Is Vital Training Manual, by Michael Rohd, 1998.
- Theatre of the Oppressed, by Augusto Boal, 1993.
Leadership in Higher Education
- Advancing Social Justice: Tools, Pedagogies, and Strategies to Transform Your Campus, by Tracy Davis and Laura M. Harrison, 2013.
- Everyday Practices of Social Justice: Examples and Suggestions for Administrators and Practitioners in Higher Education, Journal of Critical Thought and Praxis, 2017.
- Leadership, Equity, and Social Justice in American Higher Education, edited by C.P. Gause, 2017. (in CIIA)
- Why Aren’t We There Yet?: Taking Personal Responsibility for Creating an Inclusive Campus, edited by Jan Arminio, Vasti Torres, and Raechele L. Pope, 2012. - collection of 7 essays about diversity in higher education
- Difficult Subjects: Insights and Strategies for Teaching About Race, Sexuality, and Gender, by Badia Ahad-Legardy, 2019
- Readings for Diversity and Social Justice, edited by Maurianne Adams et al, 2013. - bestselling book with over 130 essays; sections dedicated to racism, sexism, classism, heterosexism, and ableism, as well as transgender oppression, religious oppression, and adult and ageism
- Teaching for Diversity and Social Justice, 2016. (already in CIIA Lending Library)
- A Tale of Two Teachers, Melissa Crumb, TedxColumbus
- Creating Conversations on Justice, Dr. Tricia Rose, TEdxBrownUniverisity
- Deconstructing White Privilege, Dr. Robin DiAngelo
- Let's get to the root of racial injustice, Megan Ming Francis
- Social Justice For All: A Lasting Legacy | MLK, Time
- Talks to help you understand social justice, TED Talks-- video playlist on a variety of social justice topics
- The consciousness gap in education - an equity imperative, Dorinda Carter Andrews, TedxLansingEd
- The Future of Race in America, Michelle Alexander
- Vocabulary of Change, Angela Davis and Tim Wise
- We Should All Be Feminists, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, TedxEuston
- Find Your Sustain Ability: What does Social Justice have to do with Sustainability?, Appalachian State University
- Feature Guest: Precious Davis, Social Justice Education Network
- How to Navigate Social Justice Issues in the Classroom with Rusul Alrubail, Pushing the Edge
- #Jpspeaks: Social Justice & Inclusion Podcast for Higher Education Professionals, JPHigherEd
- Pushing the Edge Podcast, Greg Curran
Accessibility and Inclusion Resources
- Accessible Instruction
- Advancing Diversity and Inclusion at Western
- Campus Equity & Inclusion Forum
- DACA Statement - President Randhawa's Statement Regarding the Decision to End DACA
- Diversity at Western
- Diversity Handbook
- Equity & Diversity Committee - Woodring College of Education
- Faculty Resources for Accessible Teaching and Learning, WesternOnline
- LGBT Advocacy Council
- Minority Employees Council
- Social Justice and Equity Committee - Faculty Senate
- STEM Inclusion & Outreach
- Associated Students Clubs
- Associated Students: Resource and Outreach Programs
- Ethnic Student Center Club
- Disability Outreach Center
- Queer Resource Center
- Legal Information Center
- Sexual Awareness Center
- Social Issues Resource Center
- Veterans Outreach Center
- Womxn's Identity Resource Center
Centers and Offices
- Center for Education, Equity, and Diversity (CEED)
- Center for International Studies
- Center for Law, Diversity, and Justice
- Center for Service Learning
- disAbility Services for Staff
- disAbility Resources for Students
- Education Abroad
- Ershig Assistive Technology Resource Center
- Equal Opportunity Office (EOO)
- Ethnic Student Center
- Institute for Global Engagement
- International Student and Scholar Services
- Student Outreach Services
- Teaching-Learning Academy
- Western Libraries Guide to Diversity Resources
- Western Libraries Guide for LGBTQ Resources
- Western Libraries Diversity Committee
- Education and Social Justice Minor
- Law, Diversity & Justice Minor - Fairhaven
- Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Minor