Rubric Overview and Creation
Rubrics help students recognize learning goals and guide them in reaching for those goals. Particularly useful in student-directed teaching approaches, like inquiry-based learning, rubrics can be used to assess content mastery, skill development, or even attitude toward a topic.
Developing a rubric involves clearly identifying and articulating specific outcomes of learning and structuring those criteria in an easy-to-use format that serves as a reference tool in guiding learning and an assessment tool for evaluating success. In inquiry-based instruction, faculty can work collaboratively with students to develop the rubric, or integrate the rubric by distributing it as part of the assignment description and/or for students to use in peer- or self-assessment.
For instructions on creating and implementing a rubric, see Idea 10: Inquiry-based Learning (IBL) Rubric Development Guide, CIIA Innovative Teaching Showcase, 2016.
Articles & Resources
- Assessment Rubrics, from the University of Delaware Office of Educational Assessment
- Authentic Assessment Toolbox, created by Jon Mueller, North Central College, Illinois
- Creating and Using Rubrics, University of Hawaii - what, why, how, examples, calibration, tips.
- Developing Rubrics, 16 minute video overview
- Rubrics: Definition, Tools, Examples, References, The Teaching, Learning, and Technology Group, includes types and uses of rubrics, steps for creating rubrics, samples, and references.
- Rubrics: Useful Assessment Tools, University of Waterloo - explains at the beginning why you might want to use a rubric.
- What is a rubric?, Plattsburgh University of New York - basic, clear, constructive overview.
- Comprehensive lists of rubrics:
- Disciplinary Examples, Authentic Assessment Toolbox
- iRubric Public Gallery, search large gallery of examples
- Rubric Bank, organized by type of learning, UH Mānoa
- Rubric Examples, UC Denver - math, writing, science, digital storytelling, etc.
- Rubric Samples by Department, Seattle University
- Evaluating Student Blogs, University of Wisconsin
- Papers, projects, presentations, class participation:
- Creating and Using Rubrics, Eberly Center, Carnegie Mellon
- Developing Grading Criteria, Vanderbilt University
- Papers and Presentations Example Rubrics, College of St. Scholastica
- Understanding Rubrics, Heidi Goodrich Andrade
- Discussion board:
- Presentation, proposal, teamwork
- Tips on Grading: Using Rubrics, University of Delaware
- Critical thinking:
- Critical Thinking Rubric , Northeastern Illinois University, - General Education Critical Thinking Paper
- Critical Thinking Rubric for a Paper, Univ. of Rhode Island
- Critical Thinking VALUE Rubric, AAC&U
- First Draft of Critical Thinking Paper, University of Rhode Island - high-level, highly-detailed rubric for a critical thinking paper
- Quantitative Reasoning Scoring Rubric, Univ. of Rhode Island
Online Rubric Tools
- iRubric, made by Rcampus, create a free account to use rubrics creation tool with other advanced features
- RubiStar, free tool to helps to create quality rubrics from various assignment-based or discipline-oriented templates
Rubrics to Evaluate Courses
Note: These focus on online courses but the qualities generally transcend course format.
- Online Course Development Guide and Rubric - University of Southern Mississippi Learning Enhancement Center’s online resource for rubrics
- Online Course Rubric - Evaluates the effectiveness of instruction of online courses
- Rubric for Online Instruction - CSU Chico
- Quality Matters Rubric - set of standards used to evaluate the design on online and blended courses
- Bresciani, M., Zelna, C.,& Anderson, J., Assessing Student Learning and Development: A Handbook for Practitioners, NASPA-Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education, 2004.
- Brookhart, S., How to Create and Use Rubrics for Formative Assessment and Grading, Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development, 2013.
- Goggins Selke, M., Rubric Assessment Goes to College: Objective, Comprehensive Evaluation of Student Work, R&L Education, 2013.
- Stevens, D. & Levi, A., Introduction to Rubrics: An Assessment Tool to Save Grading Time, Convey Effective Feedback, and Promote Student Learning, Stylus Publishing, LLC, 2005.