Inquiry Based Learning
As stated by Dr. Kathy Kitto in the 2015-16 Inquiry-Based Learning-themed Innovative Teaching Showcase, "Based upon our current understanding of how individuals learn, students must construct their own understanding and knowledge base by actively doing: creating a hypothesis, performing experiments, creating something, making observations, reflecting on these experiences, making sense of the new, and reconciling past misperceptions. The role of the facilitator in Inquiry-Based Learning is also active in that the instructor guides the process by provoking higher-order thinking, delivering new information, and facilitating collaborative learning. As you may guess, it is very easy to write about Inquiry-Based Learning, but it is much more difficult to do it well and to assess its effectiveness."
- What is Inquiry-based Instruction?, University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
- Inquiry-based Learning, Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence, Penn State University
- What is Inquiry-based Learning?, Ophea Teaching Tools, Ontario, Canada
- Problem and Inquiry-based Learning, Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching Effectiveness, University of Saskatchewan
- How to Use the Socratic Method, The Socratic Method Research Portal
- The Socratic Method: What it is and How to Use it in the Classroom, Speaking of Teaching Newsletter, Stanford University
- Socratic Teaching, Foundation for Critical Thinking
- The Socratic Method: Fostering Critical Thinking, The Institute for Teaching and Learning, Colorado State University
- The Socratic Method: What it is and How to Use it in the Classroom, Video of presentation by Rob Reich at Stanford University Teaching Commons
- Using the Socratic Method, Troy University Philosophy Professor Richard Garlikov
- Implementing Inquiry-based Teaching Methods, University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
- Constructivism and the Five E's, Miami Museum of Science
- The Inquiry Cycle, Whitby Primary Years Exhibition Project
- 5-E Model for Teaching Inquiry Science, BioEd Online: Science Teacher Resources, Baylor College of Medicine
- The Inquiry Cycle, (Ask, Investigate, Create, Discuss, Reflect), Chip Bruce, Library & Information Science, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Creativity in Mathematics: Inquiry-based Learning and the Moore Method, Academy of Inquiry-based Learning
- A Quick-Start Guide to the Moore Method, Legacy of R.L. Moore Project, Educational Advancement Foundation
- What is the Moore Method?, Legacy of R.L. Moore Project
- The Moore Method in 60 Minutes: Presentation by Ted Mahavier, video recording of presentation available for download
- The Moore Method in 60 Minutes: Presentation by Robert Kauffman, video recording of presentation available for download
- Assessment in Inquiry-based Learning, Ophea Teaching Tools, Ontario Canada
- How Do I Assess Students' Progress?, Educational Broadcasting Corporation, Concept to Classroom Workshop: Inquiry Based Learning
- Assessment in the Inquiry Classroom, National Science Foundation (K-12 focus but easily adaptable for college instruction)
- Assessment & Inquiry-based Science Education: Issues in Policy and Practice, book published by the Global Network of Science Academies (IAP) Science Education Programme (SEP)
- Inquiry-based Formative Assessment for Improving Student Learning, Digital Commons at University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Discipline-Based Education Research Group
- Rubric for Inquiry-based Project Work, Flexible Learning Division, Centre for Continuing Education, University of Regina
- Developing Rubrics (Assessment Criteria), video from Committee on Assessment of Student Learning, University of Illinois Springfield
- Rubrics, TLT Group: Teaching, Learning and Technology
- The Fundamentals of Constructing a Rubric, Assessment Office at University of Hawai'i
- Journal of Inquiry-based Learning in Mathematics, Educational Advancement Foundation
- Soup to Nuts: My Approach to IBL, Dana C. Ernst, Northern Arizona University
- Inquiry-based Learning in College Mathematics, University of Colorado Boulder
- From innovation to implementation: Multi-institution pedagogical reform in undergraduate mathematics, University of Colorado Boulder
- What is Inquiry-based Learning?, includes video of a typical class; Discovering the Art of Mathematics: Mathematical Inquiry in the Liberal Arts
- The Socratic Method: Teaching by Asking Instead of Telling, example of Socratic Method in action
- How to Make Lab Activities More Open Ended, California Science Teachers Association
- FAQ for Learning Science Through Inquiry, Annenberg Learner
- Life in an Inquiry Driven, Technology-Embedded, Connected Classroom: Science, Powerful Learning Practice
Humanities, Social Sciences, and Education
- Inquiry-based Learning in Teacher Education: A Primary Humanities Example, Australian Journal of Teacher Education
- Life in an Inquiry Driven, Technology-Embedded, Connected Classroom: English, Powerful Learning Practice
- Trying Team-Based Inquiry to Teach Research Skills in the Humanities, Inside HigherEd
Art & Music
- Personalized Learning through Project-Based Music, National Association for Music Education
See also the curricular examples from the Innovative Teaching Showcase:
- Andrew Boudreaux, Designing Learning Experiences for the Introductory Physics Lab
- Science, Math, and Technology Education (SMATE) Team, A Learning Cycle approach to Guided Inquiry in a Four-Course Interdisciplinary Science Series
- Stephanie Treneer, An Inquiry-based Introduction to Proof in Number Theory
- Ambrose, Susan A. et al., How Learning Works, Jossey-Bass, 2010.
- Fink, L. Dee, Creating Significant Learning Experiences: An Integrated Approach to Designing College Courses, Jossey-Bass, 2013.
- Brookfield, Stephen D., Teaching for Critical Thinking, Jossey-Bass, 2011.
- Blessinger, Patrick, Inquiry-Based Learning for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Programs, Emerald Group, 2015.
- Blessinger, Patrick, Inquiry-Based Learning for the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Emerald Group, 2014.
- Blessinger, Patrick, Inquiry-Based Learning for Multidisciplinary Programs, Emerald Group, 2015.
- Lee, Virginia S., Teaching and Learning Through Inquiry: A Guidebook for Institutions and Instructors, Stylus, 2004.
- Conrad, Clifton and Laura Dunek, Cultivating Inquiry-Driven Learners, John Hopkins University, 2012.
- National Research Council, How Students Learn
- Vaughan, Norman et al., Teaching in Blended Learning Environments: Creating and Sustaining Communities of Inquiry, Jossey-Bass, 2010.
- Coppin, Charles A. et al., The Moore Method: A Pathway to Learner-Centered Instruction, MAA Press.
- Carlson, Marilyn and Chris Rassmussen, Making the Connection: Research and Teaching in Undergraduate Mathematics Education, MAA Press.
- Smith, Margaret Schwan and Mary Kay Stein, 5 Practices for Orchestrating Productive Mathematics Discussions, National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 2011.