Blended Learning | Best Practices | Engaging the Learner and Building Community | Teaching Strategies
Assessment | Learning Accommodations
- Blended Learning: The Best of Both Worlds, 2013-2014 CIIA Innovative Teaching Showcase Theme
- Blended Courses, ATUS, Western Washington University. Short Youtube video introduction.
- The Blended Learning Toolkit: Improving Student Performance and Retention, Thomas Cavanagh, Educause.
- Faculty Best Practices Using Blended Learning in E-learning and Face-to-Face Instruction, Fernando J. Mortera-Guierrez, ITESM-CCM.
- Flipping the Classroom, ATUS, Western Washington University. Short Youtube video introduction.
- Best Practices in Online Teaching Strategies, Hanover Research Council.
- Blended Course Design: A Synthesis of Best Practices, from the Sloan Consortium.
- Content Chunking: The Basis To An Engaging And Well-Designed Course, Ayesha Habeeb Omer, eLearning Industry
- Implementing the Seven Principles: Technology as Lever, Chickering & Ehrmann, American Association for Higher Education.
- Effective Instructional Strategies, Montana State University.
- Ten Best Practices for Teaching Online: Quick Guide for New Online Faculty, by J.V. Boettcher.
Engaging the Learner and Building Community
- Blended Learning: Strategies for Engagement, by Andrew Miller, Edutopia.
- BE VOCAL: Characteristics of Successful Online Instructors, Savery, John Savery, Journal of Interactive Online Learning.
- Engaged: Making Large Classes Feel Small Through Blended Learning Instructional Strategies that Promote Increased Student Performance, an article covering numerous Blended Learning Instructional Strategies (BLIS).
- From Passive Viewing to Active Learning: Simple Techniques for Applying Active Learning Strategies to Online Course Videos, an article with ideas on how to make video lectures more engaging for students.
- Moving a Face-to-Face Course Online without Losing Student Engagement, an article covering the redesign of a course, and common issues.
- Blending In: Exploring Blended Approaches to Student Engagement, a summary report from Massey University with the top engagement strategies from relevant literature.
- 7 Strategies to Promote Community in Online Courses, Faculty Focus
- Implementing the Seven Principles: Technology as Lever, an article by Chickering and Ehrmann discussing how technology can be used to advance the Seven Principles for Good Practice in Undergraduate Education.
- Strategies for Teaching Blended Learning Courses, Maybe You (and Your Students) Can Have
It All, ten strategies from Faculty Focus.
- Infographic: 6 Models of Blended Learning, Dreambox Learning.
- Teaching Online Pedagogical Repository, from University of Central Florida.
- Five Classroom Assessment Techniques for the Online Classroom, The Teaching Professor
- How to Create Assessments for the Flipped Classroom, from Faculty Focus.
- Using Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Proactive Approach for Online Learning, three strategies to use formative assessment techniques in the classroom from Faculty Focus.
- See also: Evaluation of Learning - Assessment Goals & Methods
- Developing an e-Toolbox to Facilitate Universal Design for Instruction into Online and Blended Learning, from Educause.
- Flexibility and Function: Universal Design for Technology Enhanced Active Classrooms, by Dr. Stuart Dinmore of the University of South Australia.
- Ten Simple Steps Toward Universal Design of Online Courses, includes both examples and common things to avoid.
- 2013 Showcase (theme: Blended Learning: The Best of Both Worlds)
- Paula Dagnon, Conceptual Framework and Pedagogical and Andragogical Foundations
- Rebekah Green, Unlikely Confession of a Blended Learning Convert
- Jerimiah Welch, Blending Computer Aided Design for Better Learning
- Teaching Handbook pages on Technology Essentials and Faculty Assessment (including FacultyPeer Review)
Mentioned relevant books may be available through the CIIA's Lending Library or Wilson Library.