- Developing Teacher Presence in the Classroom, College of Business, University of Western Sydney. Ways to create a presence, broken into strategies for preparing prior to class, establishing student rapport, and motivating students. Includes two small case studies of the strategies in action.
- Face-to-Face Office Hours, Center for Teaching & Learning, University of Washington. Information on how to plan to effectively use office hours, including making them inviting and well-known to students..
- Good Body Language Improves Classroom Management, Teal Ruland, National Education Association. A list of body language dos and don'ts.
- How to Develop Teacher Presence and Command Attention in Class, Kerra Maddern. Information on how to mask potential nerves in the classroom, how to appear in control, and various practical exercises that can be done at home to improve overall classroom presence physically and vocally.
- Building Your Presence in the Classroom, Kathy Oxtoby. Tips on how to find the middle ground between authoritative and approachable in the classroom, including how to greet your students, what body language to avoid, and how to make best use of the physical classroom space.
- The Myth of Teacher Presence, Tom Bennett. What the idea of teacher presence refers to, why it's impossible to quantify, and six tips for helping others to see you as having a strong presence.
- Presence in Teaching, Carol P. Rogers and Miriam B. Raider-Roth, University at Albany, SUNY. Research article creating a theory of presence, defining it as self-awareness, connections to students, connection to subject matter, and overall pedagogical knowledge.
- Top Tips for Trainee Teachers: Use Your Body Language to Control the Classroom - Flora Milne. Strategies for teachers to adopt for creating a known, calming presence within the classroom - includes tips for how to best deal with negative behavior and off-task students.
- What's the Most Important Part of Classroom Management? - Rocky Biasi, Human Connections. Importance of presence for teachers, how it is different and works with teaching strategies, and questions to ask about your mindset when entering the classroom - introductory video for a larger course.
- Good Body Language Improves Classroom Management - Teal Ruland, National Education Association. A list of body language dos and don'ts to help build a safe/supportive classroom environment and build positive rapport with students.
- Rapport Building: Creating Positive Emotional Contexts for Enhancing Teaching and Learning - William Buskist and Bryan K. Saville, Auburn University. Covers what rapport is between students and teachers, how can it be created and fostered, and student perspectives on it- includes tips for rapport-building in the classroom.
- How Can I Build and Maintain Classroom Rapport? - Troy Lescher, Teaching, Learning, and Professional Development Center, Texas Teach Center. Strategies for building rapport, and how to maintain it once it has been created.
- Positive Classroom Environment and Student-Teacher Rapport... Preventing Challenging Behavior in the Classroom - Kareen Smith, Institute on Community Integration, University of Minnesota. How communication impacts student rapport, how to effectively speak with students, and how be a good active listener - includes a list of activities to establish student rapport in (and out) of the classroom.
- Establishing Rapport: Personal Interaction and Learning - Neil Fleming, The Idea Center. Covers why rapport matters, the accuracy of student ratings of rapport, how to improve rapport, and how to better help students in the classroom.
- Tips for Establishing a Rapport with Online Students - Errol Craig Sull. How to make more personal connections in the online classroom while keeping students interested and engaged
- Rapport in Distance Education - Elizabeth Murphy and Maria A. Rodriguez-Manzanares, Memorial University. Research article over the importance of proper rapport in distance (online) education, challenges to it, and indicators of successful rapport-building.