WWU Student Transportation Fee
The Alternative Transportation Fee was implemented in 2007 after a favorable vote of the student body, and approval of the A.S. Board and the WWU Board of Trustees. The purpose of the Fee is to support a transportation program for the benefit of students.
The Transportation Fee is voted on by the student body at least every 5 years. The next student vote will take place no later than April 2022.
The $27.50 Fee provides students with the following benefits:
- A reduced fare WTA student bus pass.
- Late night Student Shuttle service.
- Assistance with local trip planning.
- A Student Alternative Transportation Coordinator.
- A reduced Transportation Fee during the summer when the Late Night Shuttle service is not operating ($22).
Where does the money go?
Program funds are overseen by the Alternative Transportation Fee Committee which is comprised of a majority of students (AS Officers, Alternative Transportation Coordinator, students-at-large) and WWU administrative staff.
Who is assessed the fee?
WWU students taking six or more credits are assessed a mandatory Alternative Transportation Fee of $27.50 per quarter. The fee is applied quarterly with other university fees and tuition.
Students taking 1-5 credits, graduate students, and summer student employees may request the fee and have a bus pass.
A refund of the optional Transportation Fee will be granted, if requested within 1 week of the first day of class, or, 1 week of the origianl request, whichever is later.
The Alternative Transportation Fee wording as most recently approved by students April 2017:
Shall all Western Washington University students taking six or more credits on the Bellingham Campus be assessed an Alternative Transportation Fee of up to $26.25 per quarter with the following conditions:
- A Whatcom Transportation Authority bus pass for every fee paying student.
- A late night student transportation service that would run after WTA service ends. At a minimum this would serve the general campus area.
- If late night service is not offered during summer quarter, students taking summer quarter classes will be charged a reduced fee (currently $21).
- Fee increases will be limited to a maximum of 5% per year, upon authorization by the Associated Students Board of Directors, increases of more than 5% must be approved by the students through a vote.
- The Fee will be for a maximum 5-year term, beginning in Fall 2017 and end by Fall 2022, subject to a student vote for renewal.
NOTE: The Transportation Fee was increased 5% for Fall 2019, $27.50 for academic quarters, and $22 for summer.