Home Inspection Checklist

Print and use this checklist for your living area, residence hall, or apartment for fire and safety hazards. View printer friendly version (PDF format).

Check your electrical appliances and wiring for frayed wires. They can cause fires.

Replace all worn, old or damaged appliance cords immediately.

Use electrical extension cords wisely and don't overload them.

Keep electrical appliances away from wet floors and counters; pay special care to electrical appliances in the bathroom and kitchen.

Use electrical appliances that have the Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) seal for safety.

Keep clothes, curtains and other potentially combustible items at least three feet from all heaters, and from halogen lamps.

If an appliance has a three-prong plug, use it only in a three-slot outlet. Never force it to fit into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.

Never overload extension cords or wall sockets.

Immediately shut off, then professionally replace, light switches that are hot to the touch and lights that flicker.

Check your electrical tools regularly for signs of wear. If the cords are frayed or cracked, replace them. Replace any tool if it causes even small electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out or gives off smoke or sparks.

Page Updated 08.06.2012