Employment with an International Organization

As an F-1 student, you may work for a qualified international organization, as defined by the International Organization Immunities Act of December 29, 1945. If you have an offer from an employer on the List of International Organizations you may apply to the USCIS for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).

Contact your ISSS advisor to discuss your situation before you complete the required documentation. The advisor will determine your eligibility and assist you in completing and submitting the application to USCIS.

Application processing times vary between two to four months. If approved, USCIS will issue an EAD for a maximum of one year. Do not begin working until you receive the EAD. You may work part-time or full-time but must maintain a full course of study in F-1 status during your employment. This employment does not affect your eligibility for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Employment authorization is automatically terminated if you fail to maintain status or transfer to another school.

Page Updated 11.22.2017