F-1 On-campus Employment

Your F-1 student status permits you to work part-time on campus (19 hours per week or less) while enrolled in a full course of study, and full-time (more than 20 hours per week) between quarters and during your annual vacation quarter, provided you have an I-20 issued by WWU and are in good academic standing. On-campus employment must not displace a United States resident.

On-campus employment includes:

  • Employment for WWU (for example, as a teaching or research assistant, or in the library)
  • Work performed on-campus for a commercial firm providing direct services to students (for example, Dining Services).
  • Employment at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with WWU. The educational affiliation must be associated with your academic department 's established curriculum and be an integral part of your educational program


Time Limits

You are allowed to work:

  • Part-time (19 hours per week or less) during your regular full-time quarters (quarter dates are set by the WWU academic calendar and include finals week).
  • Full-time (more than 19 hours per week) between quarters.
  • Full-time (more than 19 hours per week) during your annual vacation quarter.


Expiration of On-campus Employment Eligibility

Your on-campus employment eligibility ends:

  • When you graduate. It expires the last day of your final quarter (per WWU calendar), even if your I-20 expiration date is in the future.
  • If you transfer to another university; your work authorization expires on the day of your SEVIS record release date.
  • If you violate your F-1 status.


Work Study

Some campus jobs are designated as “work study” positions. The job description might include a statement such as: “position open only to WWU students who qualify for work study awards.” Work study awards are part of federal financial aid packages and are only available to US citizens and permanent residents. As an F-1 student, generally you are not eligible for a work study position and should not apply.

Finding a Campus Job

Search for jobs at the Student Employment Center. This database advertises both on-campus and off-campus jobs. Filter your search to only look for on-campus, non-work study jobs. On-campus jobs are also advertised on flyers posted around campus—in elevators, office bulletin boards, etc.

Your Responsibility: Know the Rules

It is your responsibility to research and understand your on-campus work eligibility. It is generally not the job of WWU staff outside of ISSS to thoroughly know the immigration regulations. It is possible you will be offered employment that you are not eligible to accept or for your employment eligibility to expire without your payroll coordinator notifying you. Be sure to review all information provided by ISSS and consult ISSS if you have any concerns or questions.

Page Updated 11.22.2017