Current Graduate Students
- Nicole Casper. Determining the nutritional role of microalgae in the diet of first stage brachyuran crab larvae.
- Anna-Mai Christmas. Testing the effects of ocean acidification on the behavior and physiology of larval crabs.
Former Western Graduate Students
- Greg DeBrosse. Intraspecific variability in selected morphological characteristics of megalopae among congeneric species of Cancer crabs (Decapoda, Brachyura.)
- Kim Holzer. The effects of environmental factors on the survival zoeal duration and settlement of larvae of two congeneric species: Hemigrapsus oregonensis and Hemigrapsus nudus.
- Brett Hora. Dietary requirements and settlement ecology of the larvae and post larvae of the brachyuran crabs Cancer oregonensis and Cancer magister.
- Jason Lehto. The use of protists and detritus as a diet for the first zoeal stage of the brachyuran crabs Cancer magister and Hemigrapsus oregonensis.
- Sara Prescott. Effects of planned marina construction in Ship Harbor, WA on selected early life history traits of the Dungeness crab Cancer magister.
- Laura Morse. Acute and chronic toxicity of ammonia to the first larval stages of the crabs Hemigrapsus oregonensis and Cancer magister.
- Matt Johnson. The development and physiological responses of Cancer magister megalopae to diel cycles of temperature and salinity.
- Mary Jo Hartman. Effect of exposure of ovigers to petroleum hydrocarbons on subsequent zoeal development of the brachyuran crab Hemigrapsus oregonenesis.
- Shawn Hinz. Effects of feeding on toxic and non-toxic strains of the dinoflagellate Alexandrium spp. by larvae of four crab species.
- Franchesca Perez. Palatability of autotrophic dinoflagellates to newly hatched larval crabs
- Nicole Moore. The temporal patterns of ingestion of the dinoflagellate Prorocentrum micans by newly-hatched brachyuran crab larvae.
- Kara Shaber. Feeding on dinoflagellates by late stage larval crabs raised in the laboratory and collected from the field.
- Rachel Garcia. Does the heterotrophic rotifer Brachionus plicatilis vector toxins from its dinoflagellate prey to its crab larval predators?
- Lauren Chomiczewski. Manipulating the nutritional value of planktotrophic larvae as prey for larval crabs.
- Amy Burgess. Vectoring algal toxin in marine planktonic food webs: sorting out nutritional deficiency from toxicity effects.
Undergraduates, Past 5 Years
- Lisa Blankenship (Western Washington University). The effect of temperature during egg brooding on the nutritional status of newly hatched larvae in the crab Cancer oregonensis.
- Michael Dauer (University of Washington). Incidence of ingestion of Alexandrium spp. dinoflagellates by stage one crab larvae.
- Matt Richards (Western Washington University). Measuring ingestion of the ciliate Strombidium sp by Cancer magister larvae.
- Breanna Harris (Ohio University). Effect of feeding and starvation treatments on megalopal development of the brachyuran crabs Lophopanopeus bellus and Fabia subquadrata obtained from late stage wild caught zoeae.
- Melinda Montano (Eckerd College). Development and growth of Cancer magister larvae: a comparison of Puget Sound and outer coast populations.
- Gabriel Rodriguez (California State University-Monterey Bay). Manipulating nutritional value of Cancer oregonenesis prey by altering the prey's diet.
- Brandon Russell (Boston College). The role of an adult habitat cue in influencing time to metamorphosis in post-larval megalopae of the commensal crab Fabia subquadrata.
- Miranda Lopez (Texas A&M University-Corpus Christie). The role of rotifers as vectors for algal toxins in the diets of larval crabs.
- Amy Burgess (Brigham Young University). Effects of starvation on the nutritional value of nauplii as prey for larval crabs.
Western Washington University