Risk Management - Transportation

This page contains specific transportation-related information pertaining to:

Large Passenger Van Training

University Policy on Use of Large Passenger Vans

The University policy titled Using 12 and 15-Passenger Vans applies to all University departments that may own, rent, borrow or otherwise use 12 and 15-passenger vans, and to all faculty, staff, registered volunteers and students who may drive these vans on behalf of the University.

15-Passenger Vans

WWU prohibits the use of all 15-passenger vans for passenger transport.

Instructions for 12-Passenger Vans:

  • Any driver, including faculty, staff, student or volunteer, operating a 12-passenger van on behalf of WWU must at least age 21, have 5 years driving experience and complete the state required large passenger van training every two years.  Drivers and their supervisors are responsible for monitoring this.
  • Ineligible drivers have received, within the past three (3) years, any suspension/revocation of license for reckless driving, hit and run, leaving an accident scene, failure to appear, DUI, or other vehicle-related felony; or for multiple traffic offenses (4 moving violations/infractions in 12 months/5 moving violations/infractions in 24 months) resulting in a Conditional Status driving record or subsequent suspension/revocation of license, or 6 or more moving violations within a 12-month period resulting in license suspension.
  • The University's Driving Large Passenger Vans...Safely course is available online on Canvas. Drivers must be enrolled to gain access. It's a 4-part course involving a PowerPoint presentation, quiz and completion of two state forms that need to be printed, completed and signed by the driver and her/his supervisor. The completed forms stay with departmental files.
  • To enroll in the course, please contact Paul Mueller x3065 or Jennifer Sloan x3117. You will need to provide the driver's:
    • Name
    • W#
    • Western Email
    • Department; and
    • Supervisor's name.
  • Here's a link to MyWestern and thus access to Canvas.
  • Van drivers must also complete the state Basic Driver Safety Program which can be accessed during the Large Passenger Van Training Course.

Background Information

National Highway Transportation Administration (NHTSA)

Washington State Van Safety Policies (included in Enterprise Wide Transportation Policies)

Basic Driver Safety Program


The State of Washington requires all state drivers, including faculty, staff, student and volunteers who may operate a vehicle on behalf of WWU, to complete the state Basic Driver Safety Program (per the state's Enterprise Wide Transportation Policies)

The links shown below will take you to online self-help tools to assist with compliance:

  • Specified Drivers - Additional requirements for drivers who will drive very frequently or have been involved in accidents/incidents while driving on official university business.

  • Large Passenger Van Training - Additional requirements for drivers that plan to use 12-passenger vans on behalf of the University. Use of 15-passenger vans is prohibited by the University.

Other Transportation Topics

Note: If you are looking for university driver requirements, go to Basic Driver Safety Program and/or Large Passenger Van Training.

Using Rental Vehicles

University driver requirements apply to the use of rental vehicles.

Rental of 15-passenger vans is prohibited by the university.

Enterprise Rent-A-Car
The current state contract is with Enterprise Rent-A-Car. Enterprise assumes all risk of loss or damage to the rental car and provides primary liability insurance coverage for Western and its employees. No additional insurance coverage is required to be purchased. The local Enterprise agency has a large selection of cars and vans available for rent. Please contact Travel Services at 650-3341 or visit their website for more information.

All Other Rental Car Agencies (e.g. Fountain)
The state recommends that renters use the state corporate travel card (see below) to take advantage of possible vehicle insurance coverage. If not applicable, make sure renters purchase the damage waiver (CDW or LDW). Otherwise, the renter's department is responsible for physical damage to the rental car. In addition to this, the renter should decide whether to purchase the supplemental liability insurance coverage. Although liability insurance is provide by the state, it is only provided for vehicle use on official state business. Any other use may not be covered. Renters can also check with their own personal auto insurer to verify their own coverage extends to the use of the rental car. Please contact Travel Services at 650-3341 or visit their website for more information.

State Corporate Travel Card
The state offers employees a corporate travel card that may automatically provide coverage for loss or damage to the rental car when using the card. Some vehicles and trucks are excluded from this coverage, so please read your credit card agreement for details. If coverage applies, the card allows renters to decline the costly "damage waiver" offered by the rental car agency. However, the remaining insurance coverages must be purchased. The application process for the card is easy and there is no membership fee. Applications are available from Travel Services at 650-3341 or visit their website for more information.

Zipcar at Western
Zipcar is coming to Western.

Using Professional Bus Services

Western has arranged contractual arrangements with local bus companies that permit WWU departments to schedule a trip with the confidence that they are receiving a fair price and will experience a safe journey.

Using an Aircraft on Behalf of Western

University policy POL-U5950.15 - Using Non-Owned Aircraft - requires that you contact Risk Management before using an aircraft on behalf of Western. Liability and hull insurance, risk management and other related information regarding the use of aircraft is available from Paul Mueller at 650-3065 or e-mail at paul.mueller@wwu.edu.

State Office of Financial Management maintains the State Administrative and Accounting Manual (SAAM 70.50) that outlines the state’s policies and guidelines for the use of aircraft on behalf of state agencies.

Using Watercraft (e.g. Boats) on Behalf of Western

Please call Risk Management before acquiring or first using watercraft on behalf of Western. Liability and hull insurance coverage is NOT automatic. Insurance and risk management information regarding the use of watercraft on behalf of Western is available from Paul Mueller at 650-3065 or e-mail at paul.mueller@wwu.edu.

Page Updated 11.22.2017