WWU Student Transportation Fee
WWU students taking six or more credits on the Bellingham Campus are assessed an Alternative Transportation Fee of $25 per quarter. The fee is applied quarterly with other university fees and tuition.
The fee funds and conditions are overseen by the Alternative Transportation Fee Committee which is comprised of a majority of students as well as staff members.
The fee provides students with the following benefits:
- A WTA student bus pass.
- Student Shuttle service running after WTA service ends.
- A Student Alternative Transportation Coordinator
- A reduced Transportation Fee of $20 during the summer when the student shuttle service is not operating.
- Fee increases are limited to a maximum of 5% unless approved by the students through a vote.
- The initial fee will be for a maximum 5 year term subject to a student vote for renewal.
The Alternative Transportation Fee wording as approved by students is as follows:
Shall all WWU students taking six or more credits on the Bellingham Campus be assessed an Alternative Transportation Fee of up to $25 per quarter with the following conditions: A Whatcom Transportation Authority bus pass for every student; Late Night bus service that would run after WTA service ends. At a minimum this service would run in both directions from downtown to main campus via Indian Street, and then to Lincoln Creek Transportation Center via Bill McDonald parkway; If late night service is not offered during summer quarter, students taking summer quarter classes will be charged a reduced fee; Fee increases will be limited to a maximum of 5% per year unless approved by the students through a vote; The initial fee will be for a maximum 5 year term subject to a student vote for renewal.
Approved by A.S. Board of Directors April 5, 2007
Passed by Western students in the Associated Students general election April 2007
Approved by WWU Board of Trustees June 15, 2007
Implemented Fall 2007