Student Bus Pass
The student bus pass is a Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA) bus pass, and provides unlimited rides on any WTA bus route.
The bus pass is encoded onto the Western ID card, and must be re-encoded manually for each new Academic Year and Summer Quarter.
How to get a bus pass
Bring your student ID card to the Western Card office to have a bus pass encoded on it:
- Monday - Friday, 9am - 4pm.
- Located in Edens Hall during the academic year.
- Have your Western ID card with you for encoding if you are not getting a new ID card.
Beginning in July through the first week of classes in September, the Western Card office moves to Wilson Library 165(across from the Bookstore) to distribute ID cards and bus passes to new and returning students.
To be eligible for a bus pass students must:
- Be registered for at least 1 qualifying university credit,
- Have the transportation fee placed on their student account.
The transportation fee is placed on a student account automatically when the student registers for 6 or more credits.
Students registered for 1-5 credits can have the fee placed on their account manually by completing an "opt-in form" at the Western Card office.
The bus pass only works while there is a transportation fee on the student's account. Fees that are placed automatically are also removed automatically when a student drops below 6 credits.
TIP: Students who register for 6 or more credits for any quarter and obtain a bus pass, then drop to 1-5 credits, can use the opt-in process to retain a valid bus pass. During the academic year, students in this group are sent a warning email the second week of the quarter. They can reply to the email or visit the Western Card office and complete an opt-in form to retain their bus pass.
Valid Dates of Use
- The Academic Year bus pass is available and valid for use the week before the first day of fall quarter classes, through the week following final exams in June.
- The Summer bus pass is available and valid for use the first week of summer classes until the new academic year pass becomes available in September.
Lost Western Card
If you lose your Western Card, visit the Western Card office in Edens Hall, Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm, to replace your card and have a new bus pass encoded on it. The cost for a new Western Card is $8.
The Western Card cannot be used as a parking permit. However, Parking Services will provide an after hours parking permit for limited lots on campus, to students who have a valid bus pass. Please contact Parking Services for more information.
If you have questions about the bus pass, call Student Transportation at 360-650-7960, or e-mail the AS Alternative Transportation Coordinator at AS.Transportation@wwu.edu