What is Psychology?
Most of the major issues facing the people of the world today—hunger, overpopulation, the continuing threat of war, prejudice, pollution, drug addiction—are people problems; people have created them, and it will be people who must and will find solutions to them. Psychology, as the scientific study of mind and behavior, will help provide the answers to many of these pressing problems.
Psychology’s attempt to understand the human condition takes many approaches: some psychologists study brain chemistry and its relation to behavior, some study the behavior of individuals in groups, and others participate in providing counseling or psychotherapy to people who are mentally ill or who have difficulty coping with the demands of life.
Psychology: Human Development—Elementary, BAE
Western's program in Psychology: Human Development is designed to provide students in the Elementary Education program with an in-depth understanding of theory, research, and application in developmental psychology, and a sound background in general psychology.
Psychology at Western
Psychology’s attempt to understand the human condition takes many approaches: some psychologists study brain chemistry and its relation to behavior, some study the behavior of individuals in groups, and others participate in providing counseling or psychotherapy to people who are mentally ill or who have difficulty coping with the demands of life. The core program in general Psychology is designed to ensure that all students majoring in Psychology develop a sound basic preparation for advanced study, have a solid grounding in psychological research, and the real world applications of research findings in the field.
Western's program in Psychology: Human Development is designed to provide students in the Elementary Education program with an in-depth understanding of theory, research, and application in developmental psychology, and a sound background in general psychology. The program is designed to allow students flexibility in selecting psychology courses with the assistance of their advisor. This major satisfies the academic major requirement for teacher certification with an endorsement in elementary education and must be accompanied by the professional preparation program in elementary education. See the Elementary Education section of this catalog for program admission, completion, and teacher certification requirements.
“WWU has an incredible Psychology program that gave me the opportunity to perform research, engage in enlightening discussions with my peers and professors, and allowed me to present research findings at professional conferences.”Connor HerronStudent
PSY 331 - Human Memory
PSY 346 - Stereotyping, Prejudice, and Discrimination
PSY 337 - Positive Psychology
Students in the Psychology Department get involved with the WWU Psychology Club or the Neuroscience Research Driven Students (NeRDS) Club. Some students find internships in their field like: Ada County Juvenile Court Services—Diversion Program, Catholic Community Services—Recovery Center, Familial Adenomatous Polyposis Foundation—Patient Resources, Western Washington University Associated Students—Resource and Outreach Programming at the Women’s Center.
“Students have direct access to faculty and work collaboratively on cutting-edge psychological research that gets published in scientific outlets. By the time they graduate, Psychology majors have had opportunities to present research at conferences, effect changes in their communities through service-learning courses, and expand their intellectual capacity through the provocative discussions of small seminar classes.”Dr. Alex CzoppPsychology faculty
What can you do with Psychology?
Employers of Recent Western Graduates:
- AmeriCorps: Peace Community Center (Tacoma, WA)
- Center for Diagnostic Imaging (Edmonds, WA)
- Center Pointe Behavioral Health (Nampa, ID)
- Children’s Institute for Learning Differences
- Client Earth (London, UK)
- Compass Health
- Downtown Emergency Service Center (Seattle, WA)
- F.A.C.E.S Northwest (Bellingham, WA)
- Federal Way School District (Federal Way, WA)
- Interac (Osaka, Japan)
- Lake Whatcom Residential and Treatment Center (Bellingham, WA)
- Mountain Valleys Health Centers (Burney, CA)
- Navos Mental Health Solutions (Burien, WA)
- Oregon Health and Science Coordinator (Portland, OR)
- Seattle Children’s Hospital (Seattle, WA)
- University Research (UW, Seattle; UP, Philadelphia)
Western graduates who pursue graduate studies are doing so at such schools as:
- Antioch University
- Columbia University (Clinical Psychology, MA)
- Florida International University (Nursing and Health Sciences)
- University of Montana (Clinical Mental Health Counseling, MA)
- University of Oregon (Couples and Family Therapy, MS)
- Western Washington University (Clinical Mental Health Counseling, MA; Experimental Social Psychology)
- Employment Agency Counselor
- Training and Development Professional
- Mental Health Coordinator
- Human Resources Personnel
- Social Service Administrator
- Public Relations
- Corrections Officer
- Market Research Analyst
- Social Service Worker