Student Technology Fee
The Student Technology Fee supports the acquisition of technology to enrich students' academic experience.
Student Technology Fee 2019-2022 Overview
The current Student Technology Fee is $35 (full-time students) or $17 (part-time students)*. Funding is dedicated to the following purposes:
- $15.00 for computer lab renewal and replacement
- $6.75 for the Student Technology Center
- $5.15 for wireless network renewal and replacement
- $4.35 for STF proposals (now called Tech initiatives)
- $2.00 for the Digital Media Center (DMC)
- $1.75 for a print quota
How did the current fee come about?
During fall quarter 2017, the Associated Students (AS) Board of Directors appointed a committee to consider the amount and uses of a new Student Technology Fee recommendation to be voted upon by the student body in spring 2018. The referendum had the following results:
- The referendum passed.
- The Student Technology Fee remains at $35.00 per quarter for students with 6 credits or more, and $17.50 per quarter for students with 1 to 5 credits. (The previous fee for 2014-2018 academic years was also $35 per quarter, but with a different funding allocation.)
- The current fee is effective for four years, and then will be subject to renewal.
Tech Initiatives Proposals, Academic Year 2020
$4.35 of the $35 Student Tech Fee is for the Tech Initiatives projects, which are determined through a proposal process. This represents approximately $184,000 in projects for the current academic year. The process includes two phases: initial abstracts and full proposals.
*Due to the primarily remote teaching and learning environment resulting from COVID-19, the winter 2021 fee has been reduced to $33.25/$16.63. This reflects the $1.75 print quota allocation.