Business and Sustainability
What is Business and Sustainability?
The State of Washington is a leader in responding to the societal imperative regarding environmental issues and Western's degrees in Business and Sustainability are action components of the state’s initiatives. By combining three areas of study, you will gain the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to operate in a changing economic and social environment.
Business and Sustainability Degrees
Business and Sustainability, BA
Western's Business and Sustainability program combines business practices with the principles of sustainability. This major prepares a student to analyze environmental and social issues from multiple perspectives, decide on action steps to deal with those issues, and then implement those action steps successfully.
Business and Sustainability — Energy Studies Concentration, BA
The energy concentration in the Business and Sustainability major gives graduates a strong blend of analytic and communication skills, along with energy-related expertise that industry and government experts have identified as essential to workforce needs in the emerging energy economy.
Business and Sustainability at Western
Western's Business and Sustainability program combines business practices with the principles of sustainability—it is housed in the Department of Management and offered jointly with the Huxley College of the Environment.
The College of Business and Economics offer annual scholarships which students apply for in Winter quarter and are awarded the following academic year. CBE’s commitment includes supporting BIPOC students, LGBTQ+ students, women, students with disabilities and more.
Students complete a simple online application to apply for many different scholarships at once, and will be considered for all scholarships for which they are eligible. Learn more about CBE scholarships and review the available scholarships included in the general application.
Organizations and Clubs
The College of Business & Economics hosts a variety of student clubs that provide avenues of professional growth, networking, fun, and camaraderie. Student clubs provide a great way to learn about an area of study, often through professionals in the field.
- Accounting Society
- American Production Inventory Control Society
- Artificial Intelligence Association
- Beta Alpha Psi
- Collegiate DECA
- Financial Management Association
- Institute for Supply Management
- International Business
- Management Information Systems Association
- Net Impact
- Professional Women's Association
- Sigma Iota Epsilon
- Student Economics Association
- Student Marketing Association
I chose my major because I wanted to graduate with a practical toolkit to help make businesses more environmentally responsible.Kyla HallBusiness and Sustainability Alumni
What can you do with?
The program combines three areas of study that will give you the knowledge and skills to operate in a changing economic and social environment. Graduates from this program will possess:
- A fundamental knowledge of economics, giving them the skills to apply economic analysis to problems in sustainable business faced by modern organizations.
- A fundamental knowledge of environmental science and policy, giving them the ability to understand the social and political climate as well as the scientific issues involved in sustainable business.
- An extensive knowledge of business and management in the context of business sustainability, giving them the basic skills needed to succeed in organizations.
Business and Sustainability careers
- Environmental Sustainability Manager
- Sustainability Design Professional
- Energy Efficiency Analyst
- Director of Energy Policy and Program
- Supply Chain Analyst