Office of University Communications
The Office of University Communications, as part of the University Relations and Marketing division, is charged with advancing and safeguarding the reputation of Western Washington University as an institution and as a community. Our highest-level objective is to ensure that Western is seen as a standout institution of higher education and as a force for equitable empowerment and development in the communities we serve.
Our office’s responsibilities include:
- Conducting media relations on behalf of the university, including proactive pitching, managing press inquiries, crises, and other issues affecting WWU
- Developing and producing of WWU’s primary publications, including Western Today and Window, among others
- Running the university’s official social media channels
- Advising and collaborating with campus communicators, including those in the colleges, administration, student associations, and others within the WWU community
- Storymining, research discovery, and amplifying WWU academic, institutional, and community stories
- Collaborating closely with University Marketing and Brand Strategy on messaging, positioning, and campaign execution
The University Communications team is happy to help amplify the stories which advance WWU’s mission, and we encourage you to get in touch with us if you have a story or initiative you are considering sharing. Our award-winning staff of former journalists, scientists, PR and marketing professionals will be happy to work with you to determine the best approach to sharing your story and making an impact on your audience. We publish our stories through external media relations and story development with journalists, through official university publications, and through social media.
University Communications prepares the following publications for Western:
- Western Today - Daily news for Western
- Window Magazine - Western's Magazine
- Family Connection - Newsletter for Western's families
- Gaia - The Online Journal of Research, Discovery and Scholarship at Western
Our Social Media Channels
University Communications runs the following official accounts for Western:
About Western Washington University
Western Washington University offers more than 200 academic programs on its main campus located in Bellingham, and at additional sites in Anacortes, Bremerton, Everett, Port Angeles and Poulsbo.
Western is recognized nationally for its successes, from being named the top master’s-granting institution in the Pacific Northwest for 23 years in a row by U.S. News & World Report, which also named WWU as the of the best public schools in the West for veterans, to its recognition as one of the most sustainable, green campuses in the nation by the Sierra Club.
Western is also known for being a top producer of prestigious National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Hollings Scholars, Fulbright Scholars, and Peace Corps volunteers, and nationally ranked for graduates who go on to earn research doctorates. The Chronicle of Higher Education’s Academic Workplace report named Western as one of the best colleges in the nation to work for, winning honors in two categories: teaching environment and tenure clarity and process.
Need a source? Covering more than 200 fields of study, Western Washington University hosts dozens of national experts in its faculty and staff. The topics which our experts regularly speak to include climate change, wildfire risk, ocean acidification, green tech and alternative fuels, trends in ESG, US elections, US-Canada relations, Pacific volcanoes, and more. Let us know how we can help. Reach out to email@example.com or call the Office of University communications at WWU at 360-650-4502.