What is Finance?
The field of finance encompasses many different areas including investments, financial institutions, corporate finance, and real estate. Coursework is offered in each of these areas as well as courses in options and futures, multi-national finance, and insurance.
Finance at Western
As a Finance student in Western's College of Business and Economics (CBE), you will obtain a Bachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration with a concentration in Finance and be in a position to excel in your field. The curriculum will prepare you with theories, concepts, and skills to help organize information and make educated decisions.
An internship or apprenticeship in finance is an excellent way for a student to gain practical experience in a professional, finance-related work setting. By completing an internship as part of your academic program, you are able to apply the skills learned in class to a real-life situation. Western's Finance students have recently held apprenticeship and internship positions at:
- Multop Financial
- Merrill Lynch
- Saturna Capital
- Wealthmark, LLC
- Wells Fargo Advisors
The College of Business and Economics offer annual scholarships which students apply for in Winter quarter and are awarded the following academic year. CBE’s commitment includes supporting BIPOC students, LGBTQ+ students, women, students with disabilities and more.
Students complete a simple online application to apply for many different scholarships at once, and will be considered for all scholarships for which they are eligible. Learn more about CBE scholarships and review the available scholarships included in the general application.
Organizations and Clubs
The Financial Management Association (FMA) assists in the professional, educational, and social development of college students interested in financial management, banking, real estate, and investment management. It provides an association for students actively interested in these fields, and encourages interaction between business executives, faculty, and students interested in finance, economics, and accounting. FMA events include:
- Guest speakers
- Investment management experience
- Resume building
- Career information and internships
- Networking with potential employers
- Club outings
- Affiliation with the nationally-recognized FMA International
- FMA website (jobs, conferences, finance certifications, and forecast competitions)
- Membership in the FMA National Honor Society
What can you do with?
A career in finance is rewarding and there are many opportunities for advancement. Students are strongly encouraged to gain a competitive advantage by taking as many relevant electives as possible, getting involved with extracurricular activities, and most importantly - finding a finance internship. These experiences will provide you with valuable contacts and experiences that will be meaningful to prospective employers.
- Financial Analyst
- Loan Officer
- Business Financial Manager
- Portfolio Manager
- Financial Planner
- Stock Broker
Employers of Recent Western Graduates:
- Operations Analyst, Chase Bank
- Financial Advisor, Pacific Capital
- Credit Analyst, Skagit State Bank
- Credit Manager, Wells Fargo
- Financial Advisor, Waddell and Reed
- Financial Consultant, AXA Advisors
- Commercial Credit Analyst, Bank of the Pacific
- Financial Advisor, First Investment
- Operations Manager, LTL Financial Services
- Junior Consultant, RIMES Technology
- Fraud Analyst, T-Mobile
- Bank Examiner, State of Washington
- Marketing Manager, Seattle Mariners
- Product Manager, Facebook